DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Advanced Radar Skin [RELEASE]

Share or download skins here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Advanced Radar Skin [RELEASE]

Post by Scyth »

Its time to share my radar-skin before I forget it :) . Im not spending any time tweaking it further so I might just as well share it. The radar file is attached at the end. Please note that it is made for lighttanks! The turret-range for heavy- and mediumtanks is wider than the one that I made, also I think that the tanksize in the middle will not match that of the heavy or medium but I am not sure. Chances that I am going to edit this for medium- and heavytanks are slim.
what does it show?
  • the area you can see (light green)
  • the area you can shoot at (orange + light green)
  • the size of your tank (the round white dot in the middle)
  • point blank shooting range or bumping range for scrum (empty circle in the middle)
  • some circles to help estimate distance
how to install
  • go to game/client/ui
  • move radar_base.jpg or with any other extension to a (backup) folder
  • place my file named as radar_base.png into game/client/ui
some more screenshots:

If you have any questions, please ask!
Please note that this radar is part of a bigger project to enhance visibility in game.
Attachments
the actual skin
the actual skin
radar_base.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 11723 times
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Radar Skin [RELEASE]

Post by LGM »

Nice job... it seems to match up really well in game as far as shooting area and where the inside circle is. Looks nice too.
scythe_radar.jpg
scythe_radar.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
It was time to replace the Christmas one, so thanks. I almost just edited that one instead of going back to the 3x
Ice mom KT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Ice mom KT »

Awesome! it looks much better than the Christmas radar. ( the holly got in the way )
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

LGM wrote:Nice job... it seems to match up really well in game as far as shooting area and where the inside circle is. Looks nice too.

It was time to replace the Christmas one, so thanks. I almost just edited that one instead of going back to the 3x
The shooting area must be close to perfection, since I took the values of tankDB.cs and tested it in game on a map I made for developing this radar. The inside circle has it flaws, mostly around the sides of your tank. But generally if a dot enters the inner circle you will get hit.

Glad you guys like it :) and thanks for the kind words.
Cylicon460
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Cylicon460 »

Thanks for the radar. It's really helped my playing skills (believe it or not).... especially TS.
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

Nice radar. I took some time to test it out, and it definitely helps my gameplay.

While playing though, I noticed that my attention was drawn to the front of the radar, where I could fire at, rather than the back. Now, maybe its just that I haven't played the game in a while, but I found that I was being sneaked up on more often than normal. My suggestion is to put a "warning zone" on the radar when an enemy behind you is close. Who knows, maybe such a warning zone might be impractical or just make the radar distracting. Just an idea for you.

edit: Just realized, part of the problem could've been that I was testing the radar on lush maps, where the light green stands out and the darker green tends to blend in. Oh well, its still an idea you can look in to if you want.
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

jedirieb wrote:Nice radar. I took some time to test it out, and it definitely helps my gameplay.

While playing though, I noticed that my attention was drawn to the front of the radar, where I could fire at, rather than the back. Now, maybe its just that I haven't played the game in a while, but I found that I was being sneaked up on more often than normal. My suggestion is to put a "warning zone" on the radar when an enemy behind you is close. Who knows, maybe such a warning zone might be impractical or just make the radar distracting. Just an idea for you.

edit: Just realized, part of the problem could've been that I was testing the radar on lush maps, where the light green stands out and the darker green tends to blend in. Oh well, its still an idea you can look in to if you want.
If the radar color is causing issues on lush maps that would make it quite worthless because probably more than half of all games are played on Lush maps. Before I start altering the radar's colors I would like to get some more feedback (which I probably will never get) on this subject. I personally didn't have any issue with the radar color on lush maps (I could see red, blue & green players perfectly). If there are more that are having this issue please post in this thread and if possible, be specific about which colors (like "I can hardly see green players on ...-map").

I will look into a "sneak-zone", this isn't hard to do but it might cause a little more confusion when using the radar. Also I think it is not abnormal that people are able to sneak up on you when you came back recently (speaking from experience here :| ). As with the previous issue, I would like a little more feedback on this as well.

Any feedback is of course appreciated, so thank you Jedirieb! :)
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

It's a beauty Scyth! Works like a charm!
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
TMG Leader
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by TMG Leader »

Great skin, really helps! I can see everything fine in the lush maps. You're probably going to get different feedback on it because everyone's eyes see colors differently. Good job on the radar though, this isn't one of those skins you wear one day and then just through out.
First to fall, last man standing.
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

Scyth wrote: If the radar color is causing issues on lush maps that would make it quite worthless because probably more than half of all games are played on Lush maps. Before I start altering the radar's colors I would like to get some more feedback (which I probably will never get) on this subject. I personally didn't have any issue with the radar color on lush maps (I could see red, blue & green players perfectly). If there are more that are having this issue please post in this thread and if possible, be specific about which colors (like "I can hardly see green players on ...-map").

I will look into a "sneak-zone", this isn't hard to do but it might cause a little more confusion when using the radar. Also I think it is not abnormal that people are able to sneak up on you when you came back recently (speaking from experience here :| ). As with the previous issue, I would like a little more feedback on this as well.

Any feedback is of course appreciated, so thank you Jedirieb! :)
I didn't mean the team colors, I meant that the radar itself seemed to blend into parts of the map. More specifically, I seem to only notice the front of the radar most of the time, as the back part seems to fade into the background easier on lush maps. (A decent example of such a case is the last image in your header. In such a situation, I would not take much notice of anything beyond the bright green and orange zones.)

For the sneak zone issue, I had those same thoughts, which was why I hesitated to bring it up. And yes, I'm well aware that I'm a bit rusty and that its easy to sneak up on me right now. :)

Most likely I just need to give it time and get used to it. If no one else has problems, then don't worry about it. Your radar as it is is a great improvement over any other radars we have. :tankerwinks:
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)