DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

AI Evolution - rd 3

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

AI Evolution - rd 3

Post by Master TMO »

Going to try and set this up again, using a friend's server to run multiple game sessions simultaneously. We're trying to get him an account on this forum, and I imagine he'll have some questions about hosting servers for those of you who are knowledgable on that subject.

There is one change to it I'd like to make to the evolution scheme that I would like some feedback from y'all on. In the previous version, AIs could learn to like specific maps, but I only included the 12 standard maps. Given the sheer number of custom maps out there, I'd like to expand this portion to better work with them.

Instead of rating by individual maps, I'm going to add 3 new flags:
: MapSize- Small, Medium, Large
: Terrain- Flat, Hills, Jagged
: Obstacles- None, Sparse, Very

Those should be enough flags to cover most any map, standard or custom. What I need help from you guys on is identifying maps for me that I should use. Can you post replies with map suggestions and what flags that map qualifies for? We should probably include most or all of the popular maps.

Thanks.

Update: Had another thought - rather than the Terrain flag I've got above, make two flags:
: Terrain- Smooth, Rough (Lush and Spooky are typically Smooth, while the Red zone has got a log of Rough jagged areas)
: Visibility- Long, Medium, Short. This doesn't count fog, since bots ignore fog. Long visibility is that you can basically see from one end of the map to the other. Medium is that you can see from half to 2/3rds across, and Short is 1/3 or less.

Thoughts?
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Re: AI Evolution - rd 3

Post by Master TMO »

Re-reading my post, I think I went too deep into gibberish too quickly. ;) I would like to include some custom maps in the process, and would like some suggestions on good ones to include. Ideally I'd like maps that spam all the different flag types I mentioned, so the AIs can learn what they're good at.

If possible, when you suggest a map, let me know what you think it would be defined as. Saves me a lot of time wxploring every map, which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. ;)

Thanks
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Master TMO »

Is there anyone here knowledgable about setting up a TT server on a Linux box who would be willing to work with my partner by email? He's having some issues getting it to work.
Zbrox8
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Zbrox8 »

Hello, hello! *waves*

I am TMO's second on this project, and I'm looking for specific pieces of information to get this project off the ground...

First, I haven't figured out how to set up a game with more than 6 bots. I know they can be variable sizes, and I'm guessing that has something to do with the map type, but is there a way to include 8 bots, or 10 in a game instead of just 6?

Second, I would like to set up a Master server, so when I'm running 5 games at once I'm not bogging down the usual TT master server. I've seen some things about changing an IP address in a file somewhere, but not enough to really give me a good idea of where I'm going. I'm assuming SOMEONE out there has managed to set one up, so I'm wondering if they might be able to pass on some of that knowledge.

All that being said, I am starting my own side to this project as well, and I hope to eventually dual my bots vs. TMO's, and if that goes well, even add in a few players, and see if we can evolve them higher. TMO has mentioned that he has been able to soundly tromp the Hard level standard AIs after only a few generations. I don't know how well my own evolution design will work, but hopefully I'll get things good enough to start tromping some players too. *grins* Once we get there.

Zbrox8
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

I can help with the Linux part. What do you need help with exactly? I've set up multiple servers on different distros of Linux..e.g Ubuntu, Red Hat, Slackware, and now Debian.

The master server will not be affected by you running multiple servers, so there really is no need for you to create one yourself.

Adding bots is really simple..you just need to keep adding the following in the prefs.cs [game/server/prefs.cs]:

Code: Select all

$pref::Server::Bot0 = "GoldLightTank";

$pref::Server::BotName0 = "Apollonios";

$pref::Server::BotTeam0 = "GreenTeam";
Each bot needs to be given a name, team, and the type of bot. As you can see each line has a '0' next to it..that refers to the number of the bot. So if you have 6 bots, the next number would be '6' to make it 7 bots (as 0 counts).

Make sure to always delete the prefs.cs.dso when you make any changes so it recompiles the file.
Zbrox8
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Zbrox8 »

Mr Phobik wrote:I can help with the Linux part. What do you need help with exactly?
Well, currently I'm running the game on all 3 major platform types, I have a Windows 7 box, a Mac Pro (Running 10.4), and on the Mac I'm running VMWare installed with Ubuntu. Getting it installed on there should be easy enough. I'm more interested in the master server on there, speaking of which:
Mr Phobik wrote:The master server will not be affected by you running multiple servers, so there really is no need for you to create one yourself.
I realize there's no need, but I've seen talk that the master servers have gone down, (and are back up now) and I'm more interested in this as a means of making sure we can continue our efforts if they go down again. If there's another way to do this, I'm all for it.

Thanks for taking an interest, and thanks for the help, and I'll be sure to keep you in mind if I run into anything else.

Zbrox8
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Master TMO »

Zbrox8 wrote:
Mr Phobik wrote:The master server will not be affected by you running multiple servers, so there really is no need for you to create one yourself.
I realize there's no need, but I've seen talk that the master servers have gone down, (and are back up now) and I'm more interested in this as a means of making sure we can continue our efforts if they go down again. If there's another way to do this, I'm all for it.

Thanks for taking an interest, and thanks for the help, and I'll be sure to keep you in mind if I run into anything else.

Zbrox8
Another reason to make our own Master Server for this project is to not spam the regular servers with 4-6 game servers that people can't join. While I would like to incorporate real players into the evolution somehow, it won't be in the bulk of the evolution games - there are going to be just too many of them for players to maintain interest or consistency. At least, that's in my setup. Zbrox's scheme may be better suited for it, I don't know.
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Master TMO »

Zbrox is currently having the issue of the mouse cursor on his servers being yoinked down to the bottom right of the screen and not moving out. I vaguely recall this issue from waaay back when, but don't remember the fix. Does anyone here remember what he has to do to fix that?

Thanks,
TMO
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Master TMO »

As well as any help with the mouse cursor problem above, can someone point me to where I can download the Capture The Flag and Survivor game modules? I'll see about incorporating those into the process as well.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

TMO,

No preload required for survivor, just wait a few mins and a few weps need to load, as for CTF click the link in my siggy below or go to the Think Tanks Upgrade "FREE" forum - all the mod preloads and upgrade packs are there.