DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

TT Community Map - OMG!!!

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

Triv
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

TT Community Map - OMG!!!

Post by Triv »

Guys I had this pretty crazy idea in a cool way a week or two ago. Why not try making a community map with multiple different makers. Everybody can edit the map some amount they like and then pass it forward to others. There has been one time before a community light tank skin which turned to be pretty cool looking. So I am positive we can create something nice in two weeks.

Of course we need one rule to avoid that the map gets edited by two guys at the same time. Therefore you must post a note in this thread if you're seriously going to edit the map. What I mean by seriously is that you're going soon, like one hour, work on it. If there is no update in 8 hours from the guy who posted he will working on it then it will be free to the next guy to edit it but please remember to reserve your editing spot by posting. The 8 hour editing time will start when you post and the starting time will be the time there reads in your post(automatic feature).

There is also another thing which can cause problems. Everybody may not have all the stuff you have placed in the map. So if you have added anything not-so-common you should add those files so everybody can get the map running. Please add them in folders same way as you have them so it's fast to add them.
  • The file name is named as TTCommunity01. This is the final name for that - so don't change it!!!! Also please don't host it anywhere until the map has been fully finished in this thread. If somebody would have download it in-game they couldn't join the final version if the terrain is different!
  • The terrain size is already restricted to correspond -256 -256 512 512 which is the stock size of the maps. You should only reduce the terrain size to smaller which I very much recommend you to do. The terrain resides inside a red box which is the -256 -256 512 512 size. If you're going across the red box you should
    remove the land from elsewhere so there doesn't come more as there is already more than enough straight from the start. The red box can be adjusted later for right size.
  • I have picked the texture editor to use three different textures. You can create pleasantly looking maps with only three textures. The sample terrain is grass textured. You should use fewer textures when possible because that will keep the file size smaller and will be faster to download in-game. But this is absolutely not any rule!!! You can add more textures if you really feel they will add more to the map. Please don't add just for testing as they are hard to get rid of.
  • Fog level is set at value 20. Fog level value should always be equal with floor value. Floor value is the kill level. The terrain can be at the lowest in value 0 that means you should focus on raising the terrain as you barely can excavate it any lower!!!!!
  • I have added by default one spawn point for both green and blue team in the middle of the terrain. They are the white-greyish octahedron's on the map. This is to make sure that you will spawn on the terrain without dying. Don't delete them and just make sure they stay above the land.
  • There don't exist any outer islands as visual candies which may possibly raise the performance. Not a rule that there can't be any.
  • Please check the objects when placing them. There shouldn't be any rocks which you can shoot through or trees which you can drive through.
DOWNLOAD THE STARTING SAMPLE MAP
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23998505/start_map.zip

Place the two map files from the download into Torque/game/data/missions -location

PS. There is no choice made what type map will be. So it can turn around to be anything. Neither it is chosen what would be the most preferable gametype for the map.
Triv
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: TT Community Map - OMG!!!

Post by Triv »

Guys you are boring.
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

I was going to start working on this map this past weekend but as I was heading to the computer the baby woke up. I'll see if I can get the ball rolling later on this week.

There's only a handful of us actively modding currently. It will just take a little time to get this done. I think I've got a glimmer of and Idea for a unusual but playable terrain. I'll have to experiment to see if it will work. I think it will need a custom paint job for it however. Realistic or abstract art is the biggest question at this point.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

I like the idea myself... but didn't post because I'm not going to have much available time for a few weeks. Don't want to say I'll do it and then flake out.

Keep me in the loop... in a few weeks I might have some time to do this.

Boring... nah.
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

My idea for the map.
Droplet Photo.jpg
Droplet Photo.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Now how to turn this into a map.....

It will take a lot of smoothing and point by point terrain leveling to get the effect but here is the roughed out initial draft.
Droplet.jpg
Droplet.jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
I might need to add in more circles. We may also want to use some of the mega sized loopix trees and shrubs in the backgroud to give it some scale while playing. the sky of course will need to be dark... maybe a moonlight scene. Objects and trees on the map might be difficult to do....

Heck if no one else pops in I may just spend the next month messing with it.

If ya like it let me know so I can load it up for sharing.
Triv
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Triv »

Here my test try for that. Image

I thought that it would be nice with many waves. Some shaking with the hand as they aren't perfect circles. I had on my my mind that it could be the most enjoyable with small elevation changes. My aim was to get little bit similar elevation as in for example in most of the baloney poney dash map. You could take out the 2nd inner most circle to get more similar to the photo. I made all the waves as high. Probably the 1st one could be slightly higher too. Made it deeper than other ones thought.
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

I agree that it needs more circles but I'm in the opinion that it needs some elevation in order to get the effect. The trickiest thing about the themed maps I've done is the very low margin for interpretation or else nobody can figure out what it is. Getting those circles to be the perfect hills that they have to be is going to be a royal beotch. I honestly don't know if it is really possible.

This one took me days and I still got a few of them messed up.
Checkers.jpg
Checkers.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 6788 times