DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Skins for the Server

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

Skins for the Server

Post by Guest »

Ok basically when I want to host my server I want the player to download the skin and then see it and have to use it regardless. Any help here?
Brandie
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Re: Skins for the Server

Post by Brandie »

Tip, you should have posted it on Skinning TT
(U)nidentified (F)lying (O)bject
(U)nidentified (F)reak
(U)hhhh

2 + 2 = 7, who agrees.

http://forums.planetthinktanks2.com/Thi ... f=4&t=5537
~Brandon

Post by Guest »

Brandie wrote:Tip, you should have posted it on Skinning TT
No it belongs in modding because I need some sort of command line to do so but I am not sure where and how i can put it in.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

Ok basically when I want to host my server I want the player to download the skin and then see it and have to use it regardless. Any help here?
Could you reword that I'm not quite so sure of what you mean...
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

Seems clear to me...

He wants all the players who come to his server to have to load his object skins. Even if you have a different skin for some things, he wants the server to force the skink he put in. Like in Rollerball, everyone gets the different reload gates.

I don't know much about this idea, but if you make every skin have a different name, then it would seem to me that it would work. Just guessing...

Post by Guest »

LGM wrote:Seems clear to me...

He wants all the players who come to his server to have to load his object skins. Even if you have a different skin for some things, he wants the server to force the skink he put in. Like in Rollerball, everyone gets the different reload gates.

I don't know much about this idea, but if you make every skin have a different name, then it would seem to me that it would work. Just guessing...
Yea that is exactly what I was thinking but I can't seem to figure out a simple code to place into my server preferences.

Code: Select all

$pref::Server::Something Here = Path?;
A code like that may work in my opinion but I want to be sure of this.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

So what you want is for clients entering your server to use your tank skins which you set yes?

No problem here is your simple answer = there is no simple solution and no one line command to magically change a clients tank skin or any other skin to one of your choice - it just does not work like that. The tank skin is assigned to the tank dts object together with the tank treads, brain, brain jar etc etc - the skins have to be in the same folder location as the tank dts for the game to locate and use them on the dts object.

THE ONLY WAY TO FORCE CLIENTS TO USE YOUR SKINS is to copy the tank dts of your choice to a new folder along with all the associated other dts files, skins and IFL files - replace the skin files with the ones of your choice, then create a new tank in the tankdb.cs file and then set up some code at the top of the mission file which sets clients tanks to your skinned one when they join, or just change the path on the light tank to the one you have made.

Its important to remember that if you do this anyone who joins will have to download THE ALL OF THE TANK DTS, IFL FILES AND SKINS in order for them to join your server which could take them anything from 5-15 mins!!! Depending on your and the clients connection and if you have your packet rates set on the server :slapme:

So you have to ask yourself is it really worth all that effort and not be guaranteed that anyone will wait that long to join a server? Personally I would not and quit as soon as I saw tanks and skins being downloaded. FYI the CTF preload is, from memory, about 17 Meg - 15 meg (or something like that) is just the tanks - but because anyone wanting to play has to preload the issue of massive in game downloads were avoided. I tried to let it load once but after an hour I gave up!! You could try the preload method but I dont think you will have that much luck as why would anyone preload objects for a normal scrum or BM server?

But its up to you, what do I know anyway :whistling:

Post by Guest »

Dazzle (UF) wrote:So what you want is for clients entering your server to use your tank skins which you set yes?

No problem here is your simple answer = there is no simple solution and no one line command to magically change a clients tank skin or any other skin to one of your choice - it just does not work like that. The tank skin is assigned to the tank dts object together with the tank treads, brain, brain jar etc etc - the skins have to be in the same folder location as the tank dts for the game to locate and use them on the dts object.

THE ONLY WAY TO FORCE CLIENTS TO USE YOUR SKINS is to copy the tank dts of your choice to a new folder along with all the associated other dts files, skins and IFL files - replace the skin files with the ones of your choice, then create a new tank in the tankdb.cs file and then set up some code at the top of the mission file which sets clients tanks to your skinned one when they join, or just change the path on the light tank to the one you have made.

Its important to remember that if you do this anyone who joins will have to download THE ALL OF THE TANK DTS, IFL FILES AND SKINS in order for them to join your server which could take them anything from 5-15 mins!!! Depending on your and the clients connection and if you have your packet rates set on the server :slapme:

So you have to ask yourself is it really worth all that effort and not be guaranteed that anyone will wait that long to join a server? Personally I would not and quit as soon as I saw tanks and skins being downloaded. FYI the CTF preload is, from memory, about 17 Meg - 15 meg (or something like that) is just the tanks - but because anyone wanting to play has to preload the issue of massive in game downloads were avoided. I tried to let it load once but after an hour I gave up!! You could try the preload method but I dont think you will have that much luck as why would anyone preload objects for a normal scrum or BM server?

But its up to you, what do I know anyway :whistling:
Well most likely it will only be the tank skins, and thanks dazzle for clearing this up for me, it is better I learn with a few small hints. Thx