DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Making caves - possible?

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

Triv
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Making caves - possible?

Post by Triv »

Years ago I had create idea to create two leveled terrain by cutting a hole in the terrain and then editing the terrain in the way that it would look like there is underground area below the terrain. Unfortunately... I found that the "cutting a hole" only created a invisible area on the terrain and took off the texture. So I had to abandon my great idea.

Later I have tried to make a cave by using two terrain blocks. One for the ground and one for the roof area. I tried getting two terrains blocks working... where the other one would be rotated from the axis to be upside down on top of the other terrain. Well... I had problems getting the other terrain show up... I think I was able get them show up in piles far away from each others. But the driving ground changed oddly... I could drive somewhere on the air and somewhere the land felt like my tank would sunk/stop there. I don't know if the cave idea is possible to do in TTanks. So I was wondering has anyone else experimented with this.

Even if we could get the cave work out... there are two things I am nut sure of how will the work. I don't know how it will effect lighting when the playing field is fully covered by another terrain. A large shadow will be casted likely... and I am not sure how good the visibility might be? Second thing is that what will happen after the tank reaches to intersection area where the two terrains are connecting with each others. Will the game bug out? Or perhaps could the tank continue driving now upside down on the roof area... I don't know. But I find this full idea very fascinating. The two terrains would be perfectly aligned with each others as the terrain would be created from two heightmaps. Where the other one is color reversed version of the other. So they will be matching. Then you could edit the middle area of terrain where there aren't connection with the terrain edges.

It seems that caves could be on some level succesfully done in TGEA.
http://www.torquepowered.com/community/blogs/view/16177
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Making caves - possible?

Post by 00E »

I have also looked into this idea and have yet to come up with a solution... What I have been thinking of doing is creating a object... Small... On TGE then I expand the scale tremendously and put it above the terrain... Then I have added extra shapes so they look like stalagmites... That is the only thing I've tried... I'd be interested if I could figure it out...
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
Taylor
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Taylor »

Sounds cool, but also very complicated, bordering impossible.
I signed up on New Years!
Macs Rule!
Proud BMT Member
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

^ Anything's Possible...
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
Taylor
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Taylor »

lol, I know I said that in my siggy. I said bordering...
I signed up on New Years!
Macs Rule!
Proud BMT Member
ultimatedood
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by ultimatedood »

Only way I think it would be possible is a big shape like a cave and you can't drive over it, like a volcano. Bounce, wheee.
ThinkTanks 2 -- Concept Idea / Community Project
Proud ThinkTanks player since Thursday, July 6, 2006, 1:42 pm.