DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

TGE Help

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

imasi
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

TGE Help

Post by imasi »

So i've been following Triv's little mod help guide thingy and for the most part, it's been absolutely spot on. The part where I have trouble with is when he says to check it in TT. At first I couldn't even get the darn thing to work. He says to put it in TTx_x (TT1_5 if possible) so you can create a server to mod it in. For whatever reason there are these bogus maps in the Dazzle Pack for that even after taking the plunge and removing them for favor of my own maps, it wouldn't load correctly. I was able to get around this problem by installing a second ThinkTanks and then using that for modwiz stuff (thanks for suggestion LGM) but when I load my map in the server I get no Terrain, although the tank can still move around. Does anyone know what I've done wrong/ something I need to do?
"You played to win, I played to win. The difference is... I won."
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TGE Help

Post by LGM »

Weird... no terrain...

Did you put both the .mis and the .ter file in the game/data/missions folder on your modwiz copy of TT? The .mis points the game to the terrain. The .mis tells where all the objects are located in the terrain. They work together to create the whole thing.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

imasi wrote: For whatever reason there are these bogus maps in the Dazzle Pack
Can you explain what you mean by bogus? because as far as I am aware any missions in the pack all work, and bogus sounds like you think there is a problem with the missions in my pack - which there is not!! If you have everything set up correctly there is NO NEED TO EVER remove all the mission files from the mission folder.

As far as your modding problem goes can you explain some more, did you create a new terrain in TGE or just use mod wiz on a stock map (if so which stock map)? Are you booting the mission using a dedicated server?

If you are using a dedicated server boot the mission and join the server then minimize the screen and read the dedicated server (thats the black window)and look for errors, missing textures, missing files and things like "could not find" etc etc. Report these problems in this thread and I will see what i can do to help. The dedicated server window gives so much information and if there is a mission problem I always look there first as it tells you exactly what the issue is, most people never do this and just post HELP MY MOD DON'T WORK HELP!!! The more information you post the easier it is to help.

If you have installed TGE and modwiz correctly there is no need to use a second TT instalation to mod with!!

One thing that is very important is this: Yes you can call your mission TT1_..... BUT DONT!!! There are so many mods in this game with TT1_... extensions that new modders using this system seem to always have a problem. If I can recommend 2 things and that is always call you mission by a name (the map name is always good) and dont use TT1_....... Secondly ALWAYS use a dedicated server to mod in NEVER use create.

Dont try and over complicate the modding process by having additional copies of TT or by removing files to get things to work, making a map is a simple process. Remember that you MUST make your map with the game set up as it is within my pack (by this I mean the paths to the game folders) or it will not work on other peoples computers.

From what you have posted it sounds like you have either:

1) removed, or changed the path to your terrains folder in your TT game (should be game/data/terrains)
or
2) have incorrectly installed the TT folders in TGE which means the path to the terrains folder is incorrect and when you try to load the map in TT the .ter file is trying to locate terrain bitmaps on paths which dont exist

If you have made your own terrain in TGE most likely your problem is No.2 and this will show up on the dedicated server window when you join the game by saying something like "no such file demo/game/data/terrains/green/FTTerrain01.jpg" or what ever jpg name you used. If this is the case post the path to the missing terrains the dedicated server cant find and I will be able to tell you what and where you have gone wrong.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

Happens to me too, imasi... Go Here: http://www.planetthinktanks2.com/forums ... f=4&t=5361
Download the Sample_Rename_Me.mis created by Triv and place it in your TGE's Mission folder... Then you are good to go! :thumbup:
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
imasi
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by imasi »

Alright....
Dazzle just to make things clear. The Pack is awesomeness to the max, I was unhappy with some of the maps that were named something like TT1_3adgjr32.mis or something like that and I was just a bit frustrated because it took some problem solving. I have since realized that those are persons Race Mods, luckily I still got them.
Thanks for the help, I'm sorry if I offended you.
00E, I have no idea what your trying to say. I'm pretty sure your on.... something.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

Ok No Problem, 4 Months ago I'd have no idea what I'd be saying...

1. Go To The link I showed you in the earlier post...

2. Download the Sample Map, Thats Key!

3. I Find it easy to drag the downloaded files to my desktop, where I can view them easily!

4. Click on your (Torque Game Engine 1.5.2 Demo) Folder!

5. Follow this path: Torque Demo > game > data > missions

6. Drag the Sample_Rename_Me.mis & .ter into this folder!

7. If you want to have a extra copy so you don't have to redownload the Sample.mis & Sample.ter just Copy & Paste it inside your missions folder!

One your done with that, follow the steps on launching here:
http://www.planetthinktanks2.com/forums ... ?f=4&t=680 (Windows) Thanks Dazzle
http://www.planetthinktanks2.com/forums ... f=4&t=4205 (Mac) Thanks Scyth

8. Once you launch TGE go up to file: "Open Mission" Click on it and you should see a screen with multiple folders...

9. Click on game > data > missions

10. Scroll down until you see the Sample_Rename_Me.mis

11. Click on it and load it!

12. Then you should see the terrain!

Hope this helps!
~00E
TT2 Supporter
imasi
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by imasi »

So it was the file path in the .mis, I fixed it and it works. Hopefully my next problem will be solvable with the Modding Resource.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by 00E »

Glad I could help!
TT2 Supporter