DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

TUTORIAL: How to Install TGE on MAC

Modding questions, answers, help.....

Moderators: Warfare, Admin, Moderator

Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

TUTORIAL: How to Install TGE on MAC

Post by Scyth »

Ok, it seems that many mac users are unable to get TGE going. I must admit, I got help too when I started from the allmighty Napalm.

Chapters

Download

Start off by downloading the latest version of the engine, at this point this is the most recent one I ve found:
Torque Game Engine Demo (download)

Installation

In order to keep everything organized drag the TGE folder to the location you want it to be, I have a map called TGE inside my ThinkTanks folder where I stored it.

Step 1:
go inside your TT folder ('Show Package Contents') and follow this path to the game folder:

Code: Select all

Contents > Resources

and copy the game folder
DO NOT DRAG AND DROP THE GAME FOLDER, YOUR TT WONT WORK WITHOUT IT!

Step 2:
go to the following map (from the folder you stored your TGE in):

Torque Game Engine 1.5.2 Demo > Torque Demo

Step 3:
Paste the game folder in the Torque Demo folder and remove all folders except for the data folder.

Step 4:
Open up the Terminal (found in Applications > Utilities)

Step 5:
Right click on 'Torque Demo OSX' (inside the Torque Demo folder) and select 'Show Package Contents'

Step 6:
go to the following folder:

Contents > MacOS

and select 'Torque Demo OSX'

Step 7:
drag this to the Terminal window.

Step 8:
and add this: -console -mod game

Step 9:
now copy the command to a Textfile so you don't have to do all this again next time.
Don't copy anything that comes before /Users/...

Mine looks like this:

/Users/joren/ThinkTanks/TGE/Torque\ Game\ Engine\ 1.5.2\ Demo/Torque\ Demo/Torque\ Demo\ OSX.app/Contents/MacOS/Torque\ Demo\ OSX -console -mod game

Step 10:
Now to launch TGE you simply copy the code in your textfile and put it into a Terminal window. After that you hit ENTER and it should launch.

Getting ready to start modding!

If you haven't screwed up by now you are few steps away from starting to mod with TGE.

If the TGE application doesn't launch in Fullscreen you have 2 options:
  • Either you make it fullscreen, in which case you ll have to learn all the rest of my instructions by heart.
    Go to Options > Graphics and select the 'Fullscreen Video' option and press Apply
  • If you want to be sure you do everything right without having to launch the app a thousand times then I suggest you leave it for now and use CONTROL together with any Function key (like F11). Like in the following example..
    CONTROL + F11

Ok so now you ve made your pick lets get on with it.

Step 1:
On the 'Welcome Page' (or whatever you want to call it) press F11 (or CONTROL + F11)
It will then load a sample mission of a Torque map, but we do not want a Torque map we want a ThinkTanks map.

Step 2:
Click on the following things to open up the right menu:

File > Open Mission

Now a new screen opens up click on the ' + ' before the following maps:

game > data

and click on the missions itself NOT ON THE CROSS

Step 3:
Pick a map but not a TTX_Y.mis map, meaning no maps that came with TT itself. I picked (with having my eyes closed) D13.mis

Step 4:
You will notice that your camera is falling, press CMD (Apple) + C to get into 'observer mode' and press F11 (CONTROL + F11).Look all the way up (you will not notice any difference but move your mouse upwards for a few seconds) and move forward using the "W" on your keyboard. Stop shortly after you see changes on your screen (you will see the sky of the map appear).

Step 5:
Press F11 (CONTROL + F11) and click on these things:

Window > Terrain Editor

or simply use F6 (CONTROL + F6)

To fully control your camera again hold the right mouse button down or press F11 (CONTROL + F11)
Then move the mouse and use the WASD keys

The Main Features

Step &:
Play a little with the features of the Terrain Editor
  • check out the Action menu
  • check out the brush menu

Step 2:
Click on these things (press F11 if you do not see a menu at the top)

Window > World Editor Creator

Step 3:
You ll see a grey menu appear on the right. Click on the following things

Static Shapes > game

DO NOT USE SHAPES OUT OF ANY OTHER FOLDER THEN THIS GAME FOLDER!!!
click on the + to open up these folder, when there is no ' + ' those are objects you can use. Click on the objects to make em appear on the map and move them using your mouse. You will see 3 axis appear (X, Y & Z) if you hold CMD and your left mouse button down while on one of these Axis you will be able to rotate them with your mouse pointer.

Step 4:
Click on the following things:

Window > Mission Area Editor

You ll see a screen pop up with some grey and a red box. This red box is the area you can drive in, if you drive out of it you will lose health and eventually die. You can adjust this by clicking 'Edit Area' and then change the shape.

Step 5:
Click on the following things:

Window > Terrain Texture Painter

All textures used on that map will pop up. To change them simply press 'Change...' and then look for more textures in the game folder (and only in the game folder!). Click on the ' + ' before the map names to open them and on the names itself to get the contents of that map that can be used as Texture.

To paint you get the same brushes as in the Terrain Editor, play with it a little, you ll get the hang of it.

Step 6:
To save a map for the first time click

File > Save Mission As

don't forget to put .mis at the end so you can load it next time. After your first save 'Save Mission' will do...

Things like Mission name etc have to be editted from inside the .mis using TextEdit.

-----------------
Ok that is it for now, maybe things will be added later on when it seems necessary.

Download and Read the TGE users guide here: http://webzoom.freewebs.com/daz_138/EGTGE.zip
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
firestorm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: TUTORIAL: How to Install TGE on MAC

Post by firestorm »

GJ there scyths that should get the message across to all those newbies trying to mod with with TGE :thumbup:
Pretending to be asleep when *Stiffler Comes into The server Since 2008!
ImageImage
*Stiffler

Post by *Stiffler »

GJ man i know taty could use this and then some.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

At last someone done it GJ Scythz :thumbup:

Note: I added a link to the bottom for the TGE user guide :whistling:
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

You rock Scythz, Thank's Alot.
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

Meh, thanks all... Wasn't much of an issue though.

I was planning on re-installing TGE anyway, so why not write down what I was doing. This new version seems a little more bugfree to me. Don't know what I ll use it for though, but I read that thread and thought "ahh, what the hell". I can't let Dazzle talk young daring mac users into using PCs for creative purposes, that British Brat better stay off my fellow mac users! :tankerwinks:

Hehe,
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

You know my rule dude, If it has an I - I dont want one :razz:

And I am English not British, there is a difference....................

Glad you done this, I have also updated the PC install thread as well. Now hopefully all the new modders will be able to install TGE properly and we wont have any more - "my map don't work please help me" threads.
firestorm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by firestorm »

hey im English too
Pretending to be asleep when *Stiffler Comes into The server Since 2008!
ImageImage
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

@ Dazzle:
I sure know that little rule of yours, and I also know you are english... But be honest English Brat loses a bit of its touch isn't it?
Hehe, just playing.

Have a good one,

Post by Guest »

I had 1.5 which i think is the latest version but I changed to 1.4 and it seems much better. It has the same tools as 1.5 and just is easer to use. I was having trouble with 1.5 so if u do just change to 1.4 and do the same install.