DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Team Battle Mode League Season 11: Season Mode

Create or join leagues here! (TBML, PSL, etc)

Moderators: Admin, Moderator, League Moderators

parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Team Battle Mode League Season 11: Season Mode

Post by parCAT »

For the captains who want to grab another player, here are some that are in the reserve pool:

-uack
c_lion
niko
Nacho
Tanksalot
The V
Zante

There may be others, but this is what I had originally put on the roster. I'm sure you can find many others in CB's and phobik's TBM servers.

IMPORTANT!! Most of the players listed above have not been contacted about TBML11 since they agreed to be in the reserve pool in early November!! Cappies, make sure you talk to the player before you ask Supra to officially add them to your team.

EDIT:
A player who I've seen in CB's very frequently is Marmaduke. He's decent. I've added him to the reserve pool--he's aware of when the league is and he's interested. I have his contact information if any of the captains want him.
meow !
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

That part of the point rule never seemed to makes sense to me-
SCORING: During the regular season, a match consists of two games, and two games only. Match play shall be scored as follows: at the end of each 15-minute game, the team with the higher score shall be awarded two points and the team with the lower score shall be awarded no points. In the case of a tie, both teams shall be awarded one point. (Win = 2 pt, Tie = 1 pt, Loss = 0 pt). In addition, one bonus point will be awarded to a team that wins both games of the match. However, the bonus point will not be awarded if the teams were not even, or if the game was forfeited. A 4 on 4 game can be eligible for the bonus point, but must be mutually agreed upn by both captains (this opportunity will be lost if there is repeated poor attendance by a team). Thus the possible scores for a match are:
You're right, it wasn't your fault at all... so why should you be down a point? May not matter, but if it did later, that's just not real fair.
supratank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by supratank »

My thinking is that bonus point implies superior play against an equal opponent, which is a 4 person team. Then if you win both (sweep) against an equal opponent, it opens the bonus point to a team. I believe PSL does the same.

What used to happen is that a team with 3 would play a team with 5 and we would give a bonus point to the team with 5. It kind of got ridiculous, so at some point after that occurred in one of the seasons, we eliminated it. The bottom line is that, this is a game where sometimes teams draft teams with spotty attendance and then the bonus point ends up keeping them out of remaining competitive during the season because of circumstances beyond their control. There are teams now that have a lot of trouble getting 4 to show.

I understand what you guys are saying, and agree to some degree, but I think it needs to remain as it is for this season. I am happy to bring that up to captains now, and it can be looked at and possibly adjusted for next season.
"For the love of all that is good and holy.... Don't back up Feathers!!!"
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

I think that many will agree with me when I say that the bonus point indicates that an even-playered game was played. I do not think that a bonus point should be awarded to a team that played a game against a team that was a man down or that forfeited. As supra said, the bonus point symbolizes a game that was played evenly--with a sense of superiority, a job well done if you will.

These rules have been sitting in the forums for years. Why bring this up now? I'm sure something can be done for next TBML, but if we change the rules now, won't it mean that any rule could be changed?

I don't mean to get ahead of myself, this being my first TBML and all, but I just thought I might be of some support. Also, I'm not close-minded about what you guys (LGM, Smacky and the teams that are affected) are saying; I'm listening, but also I'm lending you my two cents.
meow !
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

I agree that the rules are set for this season, but I've heard this one debated several times. Perhaps it need to be visited.

I don't understand how the bonus point came to be... what caused it to be put in effect?
get some
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by get some »

i have long been in favor of modifying the bonus point rule in PSL as i never understood why the team who showed at full strength would be penalized for circumstances outside of their control.

additionally, i often felt that some teams gained a significant advantage by playing 3 on 3 as opposed to 4 on 4. one team may be stronger 1 thru 3 while the matchup between each teams 4th player provided a better overall balance between the teams. there was very little incentive to play at even strength since our team was facing a much greater disadvantage with the 1 thru 3 matchup. the last time i sat a player to play at even strength when the other team didnt show at full, my team got swept and there was a general feeling of "why did we agree to do that?" since then i have always been inclined to grab the 4 points and have a miserable time playing uneven. i'd rather get points and feel miserable than get no points and feel miserable.

i agree that you cant adjust the rules mid season, but maybe this suggestion will carry over to when the decision is more appropriate.

i think the team that showed at full strength should be awarded the bonus point automatically and every effort should be made to play for the remaining 4 points at even strength. this would encourage salvaging a fun match where the team that showed at full strength doesnt have the prospect of walking away with nothing. in essence, you earn the bonus point by sitting a player. i would go so far as to suggest if 2 players have to sit to get an even match then the team that showed at full strength earns 3 points and the remaining 2 points are played for at even strength.
if a team still chooses to play at uneven strength, no bonus point is awarded.

i really believe that this scoring adjustment would put enough incentive to always play an even match and to salvage as much fun as possible. uneven league matches are so dreadfully unfun...no matter which side you are sitting on.

all that being said, despite the potential to the scoring system to wreak havoc in the final standings, it has yet to have a significant impact on a team not making the playoffs because of missing the bonus point. in either PSL or TBML.

doesnt mean it cant happen tho...
Dont Go Ninja'in Nobody Don't Need Ninja'in
supratank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by supratank »

I have from time to time thought some of the same things as have been posted on the bonus point.

Still, for TBML, I would favor bonus point being for teams that exhibit exceptional play (sweep) + even match = unlocks bonus point.

There are just too many intangibles and limiting factors to some teams having good attendance. No one sets out to have crappy attendance, and there is only one captain EVER that I have sensed in anyway used it in some way for an advantage. This person shall rename nameless. LOL.

It honestly "feels" the best to me (my opinion) when a team plays an even opponent and wins the game both times. They key then becomes having responsive captains that take action when a player does not show, replacing players quickly to ensure even teams in contests.

That being said, I will gladly seek some thoughts from captains this season and potentially vote to make adjustments if there is interest. Def some good thoughts here.
Master TMO
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Master TMO »

Just a random thought - rather than giving a bonus to the sweeping team only if their opponent gives them an even fight, penalize those teams that don't bring a full roster. Now, I admit that sometimes you just can't help it, people won't be able to show up. So rather than penalize 1pt each time it happens, maybe tack something on at the end of the season for how many times? If it's only once or twice, no penalty, 3-4 = -1, etc. That kind of thing.

Obviously, I am way out of touch with the game and scoring system, so this might not be fair or feasible. But it's out there for discussion.
Bolo
Tanks a Wreck
Tanks a Wreck

Post by Bolo »

then there was the time when my team fielded 3 players and DEFEATED a team of 4 players and they wouldnt give me the bonus point due to the letter of the rules. I thought that was a crock then and i still do.

I never liked this scoring system for TBML anyway. Something where points are added up or spreads are added up would be more appropriate.

Remember scoring for scrum is and should be different since it is a different game. it used to be in psycho that we added the points from the two games but we canned that because of fbs. there are no fbs un bm so it doesnt matter.

either way the bonus point itself needs to go altogether imo.
B

-Madly in love with Rogue as of August, 2007
supratank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by supratank »

I think we have had more scoring systems in TBML than in PSL.

We have added total points together and used that, and have weighted them with a formula (2 seasons) where people get scores depending on the spread.

All scoring systems have a problem, but this is the easiest and quickest way to score.

I do like spread scoring, and if we can get something easier than what we were using, I would be for that. It awards each team points, based on how close the games were.