DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Data center servers for leagues?

Create or join leagues here! (TBML, PSL, etc)

Moderators: Admin, Moderator, League Moderators

Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Data center servers for leagues?

Post by Jerry »

I have done a little bit of checking, and was wondering if this is what we're looking for? I've sent a few emails. As soon as I hear anything back I'll relay info.

How many servers & how much bandwidth
will we require?

http://www.arsalon.net/dedicatedhosting.html

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

as confused as a baby in a topless bar
Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

Data centers sell you "throughput" or "transfer". I can't remember if that is incoming added to outgoing, or just outgoing. League games where the players have jacked up their network settings use the most. If we assume in+out, 100KB/s is rounded up. That would be 260 GB/month if a league game was on 24/7.

dash said TT on his servers never used more than 40 GB/month and never exceded 2 Mbps. I ran 3 concurrent league games on my 1 Mbps cable connection for a whole season. Unless you wanted to run more than 3 full games at once I think a rate of 1 Mbps and a transfer of 100GB/month would be plenty.

I saw that Jerry's home connection went to Independence, Mo>Chicago>Denver>Salt Lake>LV. I wonder if you have to get down to Dallas before stuff quits getting routed through Chicago. It was only 20 ms to Chicago though, so Kansas would be ok if someone wanted to be able to access the server physically.

We probably don't need more than 3 TT games at one time. A server with a quad core processor should be able to dish up 4 games, a dual core 2 games and maybe more.

Here's a place in KC: http://www.wholesaleinternet.com/dedicated.php If these types of places without setup fees would enable VNC with a password, we could easily check out their suitablity for $50 for a single month. VNC is a remote desktop program that allows you to see and operate the remote server's desktop on your computer. I used VNC to admin MI: Banlist while it was in dash's data center for 3 years. I'm not good with SSH and command line.
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

Here is a pretty basic dual core AMD. I have a tower for it. I will have a quad core that I could add when I upgrade my comp in a few months. I have a cooling fan for the processor,op system(xp pro) and could put it together.
Is this good enough to get started?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=C10-5044
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2417
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... No=2227022
$171.97

If needed, I have a single core that could be used as a trial. 2.8ghz, 1g ram, 60 g harddrive.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

How close is the KC http://www.wholesaleinternet.com/colocation.php to you Jerry? They don't charge a setup fee, so its only a $50 gamble to try the first month. There weren't many places that would do towers when I looked 3 years ago, but these guys do.

I forgot to mention that a TT game needs 100 MB of RAM, so 1 GB for the OS and TT should be enough. Heck, I never needed the optical drive after I got my Mac mini setup, so we should be able to throw together something on the cheap that would work for us. Just curious, what would the market value of that quad chip be, Jerry?
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

Here it is at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103226

Its 12.6 miles or about 20 min

V yeah
Last edited by Jerry on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

13 miles sounds like a weiner to me, Jerry. Do you normally run your TT server on Windows?
Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

Jerry,
I've got some 2 X 1GB DDR2 667 PC2-5300 RAM I could donate.

If its not too much trouble, maybe you could take the Mac mini over to Wholsale Internet and we could try them that way first. If we like the performance, you could switch the mini for a tower.
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

That would be fine with me. I'm still rounding everything up here. I had one ready to go, but the in-laws comp died(powersupply I hope)so I had to switch it. I'm still hunting all my comp parts down. Moving is so much fun.... NOT! I'll have my man cave assembled soon.
I just bought a new router and upgraded my internet this week... I'm hoping that that will stabilizes my server some.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

keep it up fella's, if there are costs contact RX , our sugar daddy, now that the rave reviews from his latest video are sweeping the nation.
Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

I just scored an Apple Xserve 1U, 2 x 1.33Ghz. server off ebay for $110. It turns out they can be had for cheap and they are more than up to the task of hosting TT games. If it works ok and everybody likes the performance from the KC data center, there's room for three more of them. That would get us 4-8 hosted games. :tankerhappy1:

The server is scheduled to be delivered on the 27th. I'll whip it into shape and send it to the data center pronto. Heck, maybe I'll drive it down there. Jerry, are you planning a BBQ next weekend?

@ Smacky
Your mini might be more valuable as an East coast/Euro server hosted from your home connection. I'll email you about it.