DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Scrum League consideration

Create or join leagues here! (TBML, PSL, etc)

Moderators: Admin, Moderator, League Moderators

jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Re: Scrum League consideration

Post by jedirieb »

I think any league starting around the same time and on the same night as PSL would either be a disaster or would weaken PSL. Likewise, I think doing it a different night at around the same times would have similar effects. Both would appeal to the same audience, and not many here could actually do both (mostly because of family).

My premisis for that is TBML. It was geared towards many (maybe half) of the same players with nearly the same time. It worked because it was on a different night, and it had different diversity (mostly because of the different players and gametype).

You guys are trying to get a scrum league going for the people who can't make PSL, right? But there are two groups of people who can't play in PSL: East Coasters with earlier bedtimes, and Europeans who need sleep. Since neither group really has a chance of a huge success on their own, it makes sense to join the two groups.

That means you need a common time to play in. Weeknights would be out, unless you did something at 4:00pm-6:00pm EST (what is that, 9:00pm-11:00pm for Euros?) Not bad, but still not fair to the Euros (of course, if they're all fine with it, who am I to say no?) Better for both groups would be weekends. You could do something at 10:00am-12:00pm EST (3:00pm-5:00pm for Euros? What is Euros time zone called btw?) This would allow East Coasters to get good sleep and play, while allowing Euros to participate. Other weekend times could work too, though I wouldn't suggest Sunday mornings (church).

Just my two cents. If you see anything you like, mail me a dollar. :tankerhappy1:
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
CB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CB »

You almost got it jedi, only the whole point is to meet the winners of the psl in finals. A playoff between two divisions, so were talking PSLW and PSLE meeting at the end.
They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

Red still sucks!
Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

one aspect of this I'm beginning to like more is the prospect of having servers closer to the players.
Historically league servers have been east coast / mid west - both pretty far away for west coasters.
The impact of that varies, but can make for a lot of lag / poor fire rate for those far from the servers.
I've been stung by this the first two weeks in psl.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

jedirieb wrote:What is Euros time zone called btw?

You are kidding me right? you never learnt about GMT?

All time zone all over the world (including those in the states) are + or - Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or what these days is called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Not all countries in Europe are in the same time zone, its a big place. Those on the Greenwich meridian are Western European Time (UTC+0), and most European countries are Central European Time (UTC+1).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT

http://www.fhs.ch/en/worldclock.php
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

^ I knew that all time zones are based on GST as I learned it, and I knew that EST is GST - 5. However, I neither knew what it stood for (GST that it), nor have I ever had need to learn where it was at (16 year old in the US thinks in terms of his timezone and sometimes the other US timezones. So I wouldn't really have had much need to learn about it, you know?) And no, my school doesn't teach timezones. Latitude and longitude, sure. But timezones? Never. Its sad, really.

@CB: My solution to that is simple negotiation. The winning teams of PSL and EESL (East/Euro Scrum League) will have to get together and pick a time that most people can meet. More than likely, this will mean a weekend, probably lunchtime or early afternoon (US) and dinnertime or early evening (Euro). Of course, you could also make use of holidays and the like... but negotiation is your solution here CB (which, as I know from experience, is not nearly as easy as it sounds. That means you need dedication and hard work by the participants.)

@Baba: If my idea, or a variation of such, is the one that works for this league here, then both East Coasters and Euros would be in this. Both would have a certain lag for the other, even on their best servers. So, one week have Euro hosters, and the next week have East Coast/Central hosters (Central usually doesn't lag for us here on East Coast). Playoffs (either in EESL or between EESL and PSL) would follow along the same lines. Play one game (or one set of matches) on a server suited for the one side, then one game (or set) on a server favoring the other side.

I realize this has some obvious flaws. The first being that mixed teams (aka teams from different time zones) would suffer almost all the time (East Coast/West Coast not so much, but and US/Euro team would). That can only be avoided if there are no mixed teams.. which I think would be a lot less fun for everyone.

The second flaw is the one you're really concerned with Baba. If I'm not mistaken, there is a noticable lack of West Coast hosters. I know Rx and Cloud can, so you might be able to get help from them if you ask. If there are a respectable amount of West Coasters in this league, something would have to be worked out to get one or two reliable hosters from the West Coast, along with one or two from the East Coast and one or two from Europe.
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
*Stiffler

Post by *Stiffler »

well what times what would be for est?
CB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CB »

East coasters can start as early as 6 pm, 7 the latest.
They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

Red still sucks!
Shietzen McGrege
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Shietzen McGrege »

well is ESl even going to kick off yet?
Brainfart...
CB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CB »

^ This won't happen this season, or at all without cooperation of all.

Red still sucks!
Simon
A Few Broken Fenders
A Few Broken Fenders

Post by Simon »

I'd like to participate :) 6pm or 7pm GMT would be good for me. Im not sure about any later though because of parents and exams :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity. :| :lol: