DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Rollerball Season I

Create or join leagues here! (TBML, PSL, etc)

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, League Moderators

icEPiraka
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by icEPiraka »

Yes, I'm beginning to think this league ain't workin out. We started it out a month's delay, only half the people are showing, and the school year is over the next ridge. Maybe we should wait til the winter for a league.
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

@FeathersMcgraw :lol: It wasn't that bad. It could have been alot worse. We could have had only 2 players show up. Oooh wait there was only 2 of us. Good thing Gray Kitty was there. I would have hated to see the score without GK. Thanks btw.

Its got to get better :lol:

@icEPiraka Its hard enough to get 2 players in rollerball a week at the same time let alone 6 or 8. How many did we have show up tonight. We just need to be patient. This is the best way to get interests started. Theres plenty of great scrummers out there that should be interested in playing. Maybe start a chain of Rollerball servers across the country to fight lag problems. :razz: I have an extra comp if it would help. :lol:
Last edited by Jerry on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

as confused as a baby in a topless bar
Cadc
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Cadc »

Qutters never prosper..

my 2 cents :wink:
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

I agree with Ice, this isn't working out right now. 8 people showing up each week isn't enough for a league, just a few pick-up games. Therefore, I am officially calling off this season due to lack of participation (although I will be setting up a winter season with Daz's new maps included.)

However, you too are right Jerry. By setting a time like this, we can get more people playing. Therefore, I would like to keep the match times that we would normally play on and open it up for all to play. If we could get two servers up, we could possibly get two games going on at once. This will give people a chance to play normally, and hopefully draw people in for the winter season.

Thanks to all the captains for helping to keep this organized. Thanks to everyone for bearing with me through these unfortunate turn-outs. Big thanks to Roo for hosting. Special thanks to Dazzle and Cannedsplam for making Rollerball, and to Warfare for working with Daz to rewrite the script for league play.

EDIT: On the off chance that we do get enough players from each team to play official games (3v3), I'll change it and let it continue. However, if we don't, I want to use that same time to get more players interested in unofficial games with many people there.
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

8) I'll show up for my weekly butt whooping regardless. Even if ya shut the season down or open it to the public. I'm still gonna keep an eye open for some players that will show up for games.

If we need an extra server I'd be willing to try and host one. I'm thinking of getting another cable modem just for servers. I have another comp that could host. Then another in the closet that just needs a hard drive and OS installed. I bet if we fix the lag problem we'll have a better chance of getting players.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

Mighty Mouse
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Mighty Mouse »

I think another problem with rollerball is that it's not really conducive to individual based mode of play. You really can't go into it and play, like you can scrum and battlemode. You really do need at least 5 to play with you to make it a game, and we all know how hard it is to make that happen.

Maybe better AI team. But I imagine that would require way too much programming.
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

^:rockon: What you said.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

Feathers McGraw
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by Feathers McGraw »

Mighty Mouse wrote:I think another problem with rollerball is that it's not really conducive to individual based mode of play. You really can't go into it and play, like you can scrum and battlemode. You really do need at least 5 to play with you to make it a game, and we all know how hard it is to make that happen.
Playing scrum or BM by yourself ain't exactly fun either, MM.

I think last night's Rollerball game was the most fun I've had in a scrum-esque server in 2 years *period*. 8)

Twas very very awesome to play that game with a somewhat full-house.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

^ is correct, how many people do you see playing in servers on their own very few. Yes we have tackled the bot Ai but we need source code to get them to play, other wise they just go round in circles. If someone can get it then I will gladly add bots.

I love it the way people slag off the game when no one makes an effort to play. MM i dont see you getting involved with RBL, but you are happy to post worthless comments in this thread. Hell i got up at 2am to play and support this league and was still at work at 730am!!! where were you?

I have spent $ and many hours making this thing work for open play and the RBL, and so have others in TT land (dr S, canned, warfare etc) - so please if you can do better be my guest, you were not around during the testing phase of rollerball and all these comments were dealt with then. And before you say anything yes its my decision to make this stuff, and yes its my decision to spend the hours creating something for the TT community - is there anyone else pushing the boundaries of what this game can do? no i dont think so.

People say TT is dying, i disagree. What we are missing is people who keep the game interesting by creating new stuff like maps, skins, objects, gametypes etc. That is what i am trying to do!!! Without peeps like Warfare and Art Crazy there would be no new scripting or gametypes - them guys rock big time and I thank them!!! These are the guys who bring ideas to life..............

I get totally hacked off with cries of lag and so on - i say get a proper computer to play online games with, those with a decent graphics card and connection play fine - you dont see them moaning.

@ Jed thanks for trying to get this rolling and yes the last few weeks have been great to actually play in anger and have some great games, I am sure that these players who played equally had a great time - just goes to show what the majority think.

@ All great games was indeed fun to play

New maps will be finished soon, unless I get totally fed up with TT and all its BS -I am not a million miles away from that point right now!!!
Mighty Mouse
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Mighty Mouse »

^ I wasn't moaning about the game. I know that you guys put in a lot of effort to develop the game type and to get the league going. I was just pointing out that a factor to consider for the poor turnout is that it's really hard to grasp the game and tactics for some when you are playing by yourself against bot or 1 on 1 on a big field like rollerball has. I tried to play rollerball early on in my TT career, but often times it was 1 on 1, or just me and bot. It wasn't really fun. It had cool graphics and sounds, but not much else to keep my interest. As someone who actually tried to play, I think I know what my experience was like.
I have to say I was bit surprised at the tone of the post. Was your indignation at the AI comment? Because if it was, it was said in earnest because I imagine programming a bot to have some form of strategy in a new game type IS difficult.

@Feathers...For me I guess it's different then. In scrum and battlemode, you can at least understand what's going on and know what needs to be done to score, even without human players,i.e., getting the angle, learning the map. AND you can practice skills like sniping, shooting while sliding,...And if you even have 1 other human player, a decent one, than it can be really entertaining. I've done scrum with Scythe/Deja where it was fun because it was a challenge to get around them to the goal. In bm, I've played with with a good heavy and found it challenging to score the kill.

@Dazzle...As for me doing RBL, I am in the middle of a lot of life changes and I can't handle any leagues at the moment. If you consider that as disqualifying me from commenting on rollerball at all, okay I won't comment any further. Since I began playing TT AFTER all of the RBL issues were addressed, I guess nothing more needs to be said. I daresay, how many people are left playing from when you were developing rollerball and how many here are from after? Isn't it possible that the latter group is thinking the same thing I was, and it'd be useful to let us know the ins and outs of rollerball? Just because we play TT doesn't mean we are brushed up on 4 years of TT history. Also, you have at least one person who agreed with me (Jerry) who did show up for the league and is willing to help.

I didn't think I was going to be whaled on for merely pointing out a factor to consider when you see poor turnout.