DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Rollerball Season I

Create or join leagues here! (TBML, PSL, etc)

Moderators: Admin, Moderator, League Moderators

Disturbo
A Few Broken Fenders
A Few Broken Fenders

Post by Disturbo »

Mighty Mouse wrote:@Feathers...For me I guess it's different then. In scrum and battlemode, you can at least understand what's going on and know what needs to be done to score, even without human players,i.e., getting the angle, learning the map. AND you can practice skills like sniping, shooting while sliding,...And if you even have 1 other human player, a decent one, than it can be really entertaining. I've done scrum with Scythe/Deja where it was fun because it was a challenge to get around them to the goal. In bm, I've played with with a good heavy and found it challenging to score the kill.

"And if you even have 1 other human player, a decent one..."

MM, it's possible to have fun playing RB with one human player. Today, with my piece-o'-junk computer doing an awesome 11 FPS at the RB server, I had some fun playing against Gigi. Gigi had downloaded the pre-download and came to the server, and I showed him how to score by doing a round with him watching. Then we played three rounds, with Gigi winning 2 of them before the server suddenly lagged up hard and closed. IMO, Moscow > Tokyo > Houston, as far as I've seen.

Nevertheless, it's just as fun to dodge those dangerous-looking green shells with 10 seconds on the clock, heading for that Moscow jump into the goal at 9 FPS with on other player, as it is do the equivalents in team scrum and indy scrum at 20-24 FPS with 3 players and bots.

BTW, I've never seen any bots in RollerBall. I've only played it thrice, one-on-one, against Cassie(winning 1 of 2), CB(winning 1 of 1) and Gigi(winning 1 of 3 and a demonstration run). I don't know what the full-house tactics for RB are, but I logically suppose that it would be four step:

1. You-go-first type behavior in creating the RollerBall.
2. Indy Scrum behavior in getting the RollerBall(everyone running as fast as possible).
3. Team Scrum behavior in gate activation(indy with campers, and teammates protecting the ball carrier). The team pursuing the ball carrier would then exploit the colored chrome gate to get a bunch of speed-up tanks and take an advantage in 4.
4. A big BM-cum-TS crossfire with powerups blazing everywhere in the end as both teams desperately struggle to their goals with the ball while trying to run the opponents timer out.

I must admit, the powerups are a strong point. Even if the weapon isn't that powerful, those extreme emitters are good enough to make the defender dodge a harmless emitter and commit a mistake that looses the ball.

Visit the ThinkTanks tank factory!
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

@ Dazzle;
I don't believe that my comp or internet connection for that matter is the cause of my lag. I thought that distance from the server had alot to do with it too. I wasn't tring to piss anyone off. I (just like many other) would like to see more activity in the RollerBall game type. And I thought that would be the goal for the creaters of the game too. I'm just tring to give some feed back. Sorry if I came across wrong. :oops:

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

as confused as a baby in a topless bar
Rooster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rooster »

how the US server working out for ya?
Got up Tuesday morning to a sleeping laptop
I set it up for youse on Monday nite and it shouda still
been running...was worried it wasnt on for league nite

@Jerry what are your computer specs
Video Ram
CPU
etc?
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

I am just protective of the game, it has been a massive project and one that never seems to end. Even getting this league together with the new script, testing, editing the missions for league play etc has taken many hours. Yes I have made other maps, games, objects and stuff but I would think twice about taking on something so complicated again. For example a normal map can be made in a couple of hours, a good TS or TBM map may take up to 6-8 hours a RollerBall map takes somewhere around 15-24 hours!!! So you see why I am protective.

[center]These are 2 of the new RollerBall Maps and have taken around 45 hours to design and create[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

I apologize (MM and Jerry) for sounding harsh, its just easier to suggest things than actually doing them, and as I said above I am just protective of the game. Every effort has been made to make the game playable for all clients, but if your PC sucks please don't blame the game. With a decent 256 GPU RollerBall should run at around 100 fps, thats good enough for most people to fully enjoy the game. Yes I am lucky and play on an SLi and get 290 fps so it plays like a lush map for me, but I test every map on my useless laptop as a benchmark, and if I can play on that then most clients should not have a problem.

I am extremely proud of RollerBall the game, everyone who contributed to its creation, and everyone who has taken the time to install the rollerball files and play the game - it was a simple idea that indeed evolved into something very complicated but very unique. Please realize that I do not expect everyone to like the game, we are all different and like different thinks. I was surprised but very pleased that Bolo wanted to participated in the RBL, he was not a fan of RollerBall when it was released I can't exactly remember his comments but they were not all positive (something about carnival colors) and he did not like the way the game changed his default reticle, something i took on board and changed - so kudos to Bolo for getting involved, I hope he had fun playing in anger and will join up again when we attempt to get this going next time.

For those who don't know I wrote a detailed How to play guide, you can read it here: RollerBall Play Guide

I hope we can get a a few more people involved in the RBL as it can be a very tactical team game which will hopefully be fun for everyone involved, so spread the word.................

Once again a huge thanks to Roo for hosting the league server on his awesome connection - thanks Roo

There is a RollerBall thread in the map updates forum so:

[center]If you have any comments or require assistance with RollerBall[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

@ rooster
celeron 3.2 GHz
768 MB ram at 400 MHz
radeon 9550 256ram
I know it could be better but it should be sufficient.

@Dazzle
I see your point alittle better. I know theres alot of work put into the game and if theres anything that I could do to help just let me know. I'm not a college grad, but theres nothing that I can't learn to do on comps.

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!

XFactor
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by XFactor »

The first post was really long so i didnt want to read it all, so im sorry if i am wasting ur time. But is there any slots left i'd like to play.

<a>Visit My Website</a>
icEPiraka
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by icEPiraka »

^ If you had taken the time to read through the topic, you would have noticed that Jed is calling off the official league until winter.
jedirieb
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by jedirieb »

^^ A little bit of reading never hurt anyone, and as ^ said, I called off the league due to lack of participation from those who signed up. However, you are free to enter the pick-up games that will be taking place instead of official games.
"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." - First Oath of the Knights Radiant (Stormlight Archive)
Feathers McGraw
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by Feathers McGraw »

Dazzle (and Canned...and Warfare....and Doc Sawbones...) you are friggin amazing 8) But if I do say so, the voice makes the game! :razz: :lol:

Unfortunately I won't be around for the next pick-up game. I'll be away at the seaside for a week :wink: I'll be ready for the next one though :)
Jerry
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Jerry »

^ Have fun Feathers and watch out for the undertoad (world according to Garp)

@ Rooster
Was there anything else ya needed to know? I was hoping you had a suggestion

Well I thought that we were still going to have the server up and play some open games. So now thats out too. :cry:
Ooooh well it was fun while it lasted.

:razz: I think I found the colprit. I had been in rollerball for a while and noticed major lag. Then got to checking, my graphics card was pretty hot. I think its time to go shopping. :oops:

Good at everything!
Perfect at nothing!