DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Download, paste, and work?

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

TT Tanker
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Download, paste, and work?

Post by TT Tanker »

I've read mostly every post on this site, and mostly they are about downloads, when you finish downloading do you just paste in a TT folder and the download instantly gives permission to do something in the download? i'm confused! Can someone explain why my downloads dont work??

I may have not made this post make much sence but if you can understand it, can you please help me!
Can someone make my avatar be quiet!?! It's ANNOYING!?!
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Download, paste, and work?

Post by LGM »

Most of the time, you have to install the files you download in the correcct location for them to work. You can't just put the download folder in your TT folder.

For example, let's look at a tank skin... you download the skin file, but have to put it in the correct location. It has to replace the stock skin for it to work. You have to navigate to the folder where the original skin is, and replace it with the new skin.

Then the game will use the new skin in place of the old.

To install the skin, first I have to open up the program package. I'm on Macs, so I control-click on the TT icon. A menu pops up. I choose "Show Package Contents."

Then, navigate through the folders inside TT until you get to the one you need... for a tank skin, it's ThinkTanks/Contents/Resources/game/data/shapes/tanks and the skin for a light is Tank01.jpg. You may notice the skin in my screenie isn't stock. It's the one I like instead.

For most add-ons, you have to place the downloaded files in the correct location. Mission files go one place, admin scripts in another. Scripts also need to be activated with a line of code. You can usually find that info in the download instructions or README files.

Of course, you should keep backups of original files so you can switch back if you want to.
TT Tanker
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by TT Tanker »

You do make a lot of sence, but what exactly do you mean by "right location"? A special content folder? I'm using PC and Mac if you are wondering....... :? and on my Mac, your files look A LOT different, i might be using an old version.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

If you're not running Snow Leopard, your menus and windows will be somewhat different. You may want to check out the view options you have. I prefer the multi-column view.

As for correct location, it's usually specified in the file you downloaded. The directions tell you where the files need to go.
TT Tanker
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by TT Tanker »

So you Right-click on the Folder/file and it gives a veriety of locations? It's the way i got you reply, and that is where i put the contents in, to activate them you just click on it........ I do not exactly know what to do afterwards, I'll try to figure it out.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

No.... right click the file or folder, and you get a menu of options.

What exactly are you trying to install? Maybe we can talk you through it one step at a time. It sounds like you aren't sure about where things go, or how to get to the places they belong in. Let's slow it down and do one thing. What would you like to do?
TT Tanker
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by TT Tanker »

Well i'm trying make sure i get everything right with napalms expantion pack, i'm not sure if you use it but i need help with it.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

I moved this into the help forum... seems more appropriate.

Of course, first you need to get the Napalm's pack downloaded and unzip it. Open up the folder. Inside are five folders and the install instructions. In this pic, you can see them. I prefer to use the column view, because it allows you go see the folders inside each folder, and I find it easier to navigate this way.

Read the directions that are in there. MAKE A COPY OF YOUR THINKTANKS FOLDER AS A BACKUP.
Now, you may notice the folder names tell you what to do in this case. Next, you need to open up your game and find the folders inside. Go into your applications folder. Find TT, then find the Application itself.

Hold down the control key and click on the game icon. The menu that pops up lets you "Show Package Contents". Choose that in the menu.

Next, go into the folders that appear in the window that opens to show the package. Go through the folders until you get to the data folder. The path is Contents/Resources/game/data

Now, go to the folder that has Napalm's stuff in it. Find the first folder. Click on it and the select the entire contents. Then, right click or hold down the control key and click on the selected files. Choose "Copy Items" from the menu that pops up.

After the copy, go back to the ThinkTanks data folder. (Contents/Resources/game/data)
Click on the data folder, then hold down the control key or right click the data folder. Choose "Paste Items" from the menu.

You will do this same thing with the other folders in the install for Napalm's Expansion Pack. By the time you finish you will have pasted the contents of all of the folders in the expansion pack into the places they belong.

The other folders are all located inside the data folder... just look in there for shapes, skies, sound, and terrains folders.

Be careful to put everything in the correct folders, and it should all work just fine.
TT Tanker
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by TT Tanker »

Ok i got that done, but what about the other folders? What would the file folder name be? application, TT, TT, and what would the rest be?
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

The other folders are all located inside the data folder... just look in there for shapes, skies, sound, and terrains folders.
So the contents of the "copy contents to shapes folder" goes in Contents/Resources/game/data/shapes...

the contents of the "copy contents to skies folder" goes in Contents/Resources/game/data/skies...

the contents of the "copy contents to sound folder" goes in Contents/Resources/game/data/sound...

the contents of the "copy contents to terrains folder" goes in Contents/Resources/game/data/terrains...