DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Computer Question

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

TMG Leader
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Computer Question

Post by TMG Leader »

Okay so, I have a PC that's hosting a server but it seems to crash a lot. It's a Dell Dimension 8400 with 1 GB Ram and Intel Pent 4 CPU.

The computer was given to me by a friend about a year ago, and I'm using Ubuntu 8.
It is running a ATI X1600 Pro which requires a 300 watt PSU, but it's running on a 250.

So my question is, is it possible that the PSU is failing to keep up with the graphics card causing the card to freeze and make the computer crash, or do I need to reinstall my OS?

I've looked on Dell's website and their replacement PSUs don't go above 250...I've looked at third party's but I don't know who or which brand I can trust and if they will fit correctly in the case.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
First to fall, last man standing.
00E
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Computer Question

Post by 00E »

My Advise... "Get A Mac" :thumbup:
Has Been Playing TT Since February 18, 2004
Mods Made: 17
TT2 Supporter
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

It's entirely possible that the power supply isn't enough. If you're using the machine mainly to run a dedicated server, you really don't need much of a graphics card. The game graphics aren't even going to be running.

I'm assuming you put in a better graphics card. Still have the old one? Put it back in and see if it runs better. They shipped with a 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT. That should be fine for most uses, but not sure about top end gaming. However, that's also looking for a 300 watt power supply.

I'd try to find a better power supply. However, the issues with crashing a dedicated server aren't likely to be related to the graphics card.
TMG Leader
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by TMG Leader »

00E wrote:My Advise... "Get A Mac" :thumbup:
Lol, this is my server computer. I've got 2 macs in the house. I don't want to host off of my iMac because it's my primary and my MacBookPro isn't as fast as the PC.
LGM wrote:
I'm assuming you put in a better graphics card. Still have the old one? Put it back in and see if it runs better.
When I picked up the computer from my friend, the X1600 was already in there. So I don't have the old one. Do you think I could just go on eBay and just buy an old Rage? I'd figure they would use less power. I'm going to re-install the OS anyway, but I have to drop it by a friends house for him to install it since my external monitor doesn't like the computer.
Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

Any Macbook Pro will be overkill on processor strength. I've hosted TT on a Mac PowerPC 233 Mhz PPC (pre G3/G4). Hosting doesn't need much.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

The graphics card isn't an issue for hosting... but an underpowered power supply could cause odd issues. I wouldn't waste $ on another graphics card... may be better to get the 300 watt power supply.

^ is right about the demands of hosting... I've been running 2-3 servers off the same computer, and I haven't seen any difference in play. I don't on PSL nights... but it's not that bad. One game uses 2-5% of my CPU...
stiffler
A Few Broken Fenders
A Few Broken Fenders

Post by stiffler »

how much free ram space you got. if you download alot it be bring little adds and stuff that hide in your system with could clug you wifi/enternet/modem
TMG Leader
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by TMG Leader »

^1 GB. I don't browse that much on the server computer, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

I'd use the MBP for hosting but I like the idea of it being up 24/7 which I can't do because of school.

I'll reinstall the OS, if that doesn't do anything, I'll go with the PSU. I just need to find one that will fit, because Dell has those custom PSUs that fit in their cases. It has to do with where the fuse switch is and I don't feel like cutting my case for a PSU to fit.