DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Xunbuntu Linux and TT

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Xunbuntu Linux and TT

Post by THE V »

Well I just got a fresh install of Xubuntu 8.10 installed on my compaq M700. The graphics card was automatically detected and I am very please with the speed of the operating system. It is running the same speed as the old Win98 with a lot more funtionality.

I ran the install for TT and it ran though without a hitch. When I try to open up the screen all I get is a quick flash and then it shuts down. I've never gotten TT to run on this machine although it "should be compatable". I was going to turn this thing into a Team Scrum server but the program keeps crashing out on me. Everything else works great I even got the wifi card working using ndiswrapper.

The machine is a Compaq M700, PIII 650mhz, 310 Mb RAM, ATI Raid Mobility, 6G harddrive. The machine is currently running with about 60% RAM free and 70% processor free as a baseline. Pretty dang good for this ancient thing.

What is going on? Can I get a server running on this machine even though I cannot run the full game?

If I can figure this thing out I'll have a server up this weekend.
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Re: Xunbuntu Linux and TT

Post by Mr Phobik »

From http://forums.planetthinktanks2.com/Thi ... m.php?f=23

The problem was a "locking assertion failure"

I dug around the Ubuntu forums and found someone else had the same problem with a game called "neverwinter nights." The fix is to change some script in the thinktanks shell file. This is the file you click on to get the game going. Open the shell file in the text editor and look towards the bottom for this:

# first run the updater if it is there

if [ "$RUN_UPDATER" = "true" ] && [ ! -e "${GAME_HOME_PATH}/noupdate" ] && [ -x "${GAME_HOME_PATH}/update" ]
then
${GAME_HOME_PATH}/update --auto
fi

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

EXEFULL=ThinkTanks.bin
EXEDEMO=ThinkTanksDemo.bin

Delete what i have colored in blue and you should be on your way.
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

Combo of the things in the sticky + I needed to dl the lib files to the newest version. Xubuntu apparently comes stripped down so that it will run on these old machines. I must admit It is working very well on this computer. Amazing what good software can do to a machine that is 10 years old.
Blind Cide
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Blind Cide »

Linux is very lean and doesn't waste CPU cycles. Mac OS X is essentially linux with a fancy GUI, but that GUI costs a few CPU cycles. The difference running Linux VS Windows is dramatic.

You can run TT as a server without a license! And you can use VNC or SSH to control your laptop from your normal desktop setup.