DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

My FPS (frames per second) problem

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

My FPS (frames per second) problem

Post by Cloud »

Ok, many of you know that I have had this problem. For a while, sporadically I would have a FPS problem in Thinktanks. My FPS would plumet down to a mere 10 FPS when I was looking at a lot of moving objects (ie tanks, smoke, bouce back) or at the center of the map. And if I looked away from the map, my fps could range from 40 to possible as high as 300 (300 seems unheard of, but thats the fps it shows.) This happen each time I opend the application, thinktanks. So if left the appliacation open for a long period of time the FPS would be low, whenever I played on 'that' application. When I close the application and started it up again it would sometimes be like it is on my desktop, clean and smooth (average of 60-90 FPS). Now pretty much always I have this problem even when I have no other appliacations or anything running on the computer. (its geting worse) My grahpics card is very good for a laptop, like a Nvdia Gforce 8600GT or something. I have 4 gigs of ram. intel centrino duo core processor. Other games play smooth even if they are the most intense of grahpics. I love thinktanks, but I cant play with such a low FPS. (sometimes down to 5 FPS) I dont know what the problem is. I have re-downloaded thinktanks many times, tried to fiddle with the computer to get it working, but nothing. Somebody said I should 'defragment' the harddrive or something. I am sorta savvy when it comes to computers.

In a nutshell: FPS is very low, its sporadic but getting worse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
//()*()*()*()*--[][][][]-^-^)(CLOUD)(^-^-[][][][]--()*()*()*()\\
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My FPS (frames per second) problem

Post by LGM »

I am not an expert on this, so check out what I have. Verify or get better advice.

It seems to me it could be a few possibilites. I have had fps drop temporarily due to network lag. That seems less predictable than what you describe. If the network you are on gets bogged down, it's a possible result. Seems like you'd be getting the lag icon in that case.

Another possibility could have to do with the graphics card. Is there any hint of that problem in other games? If not, it might not be a problem. Are you up to date with drivers and all that?

The one I think it is, is the amount of priority TT gets from your computer system. There are ways to prioritize what programs get priority on your system. Perhaps Windows is gobbling up too much, and TT falls off from it. It sounded like if you leave it running, it works better. Perhaps some of the priority is set from how much you run the program. (Guessing, for sure) Is that related to registry issues in Windows? Another idea.

Wish I could offer more help. Where's the Windows folks?
Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cloud »

Thanks LGM, but Woot seemed to fix it yesterday somehow. Running the program on 'windows 98/ME' appears to be the fix. I will let you all know if it continues. :)
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

Oh good!

Can't have our Cloud burning off. Cya around then.

(mutters comment about Microsoft products...)
Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cloud »

^ Burning off!?! Yea right, Clouds up in the north west dont burn off, and you know that. I dont plan on burning off anytime soon. :thumbup: