DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Getting TT to run on linux

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Re: problem getting TT to run on linux

Post by Mr Phobik »

I have a problem also.. i Just got linux...Ubuntu 8.0.4...Downloaded Think Tanks..But how do i even open .bin files? :withstupid:
belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by belikin »

The following directions were given to me. Although i have not had much luck getting my machine to work with them i do believe they are good instructions.

Use easy unbuntu to install basic requirements

Install Think Tanks on Linux

1. Place TT download in home folder
2. open terminal window
3. type cd(spc)/home(spc)/belikin <------------Inplace of the belikin you need your informaion.
4. type sh(spc) DRAG TT ICON TO WINDOW
5. enter
6. change installation path to /home/belikin/thinktanks
7. Symbolic links = NO

The following link was given to me but it no longer works so I used EnvyNG to install my Nvidia driver. EnvyNG will install nvidia drivers and one other brand but i cannot remember what it is.

(Go to http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper <------THIS NO LONGER WORKS
And follow Method 1 to install driver)

Running a server Roo’s Instructions (Thanks roo)

Once you get that installed then it will be time to throw up a server!

First thing to do. Go into the /home/belikin/ThinkTanks/dedicated folder and pick a game you want to host (actaully does't really matter because we will be changing things later, but we need the script). So just pick the lush cycle.sh and copy it. Then past it in your home/ belikin/ThinkTanks folder.

Second. Use the Text Editor (located in Applications-Accessories) to edit the cycle.sh with some info I got from dash awhile back. Makes it a lot easier to deal with. Replace all with this info.

#!/bin/bash
GAME_HOME_PATH='/home/belikin/ThinkTanks'
echo "Inserting lib directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./ThinkTanks.bin -dedicated -nohomedir -console -mission game/data/missions/”MISSION_NAME”.mis -game TB

Third. You have to find the prefs.cs Go to your home folder and click view - then click Show hidden files - Then go to the .bravetree/ThinkTanks/game/server folder. Just cut and the paste to your /home/belikin/ThinkTanks/game/server folder. Just edit the server prefrences here.

Fourth. Launch the server. Open a terminal. Type cd /home/belikin/ThinkTanks <hit enter> then type sh(spc) (and drag the .sh file from the ThinkTankls folder to the terminsl window, And away you go

You can install everything else like you do in windows, like the dash codes and such. Its just now gedit has taken the place of notepad.
DJ Wings
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by DJ Wings »

Phobik: You should be able to just double-click on them. If you can't, right-click on the file, go to "Properties", and make it executable. .bin files are the Linux version of .exe files.
Never really gone, never really part of the game.
MusickTMG
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by MusickTMG »

belikin(UF) wrote:Yea no luck there.

Using the full version of TT I ran ./ThinkTanks.bin in the terminal window and had the same condition, a black screen with a centered blue box stating Analog out of range 81.3 KHz / 65hz.

The demo version works fine if i do not put it in full screen. If i choose to put the demo into full screen the computer freezes up and need to power it down with the power button.

Hey, i got mine to work, thanks to what you posted. Thanks. And i might be able to help you with your problem too.

The same thing happened to me when i attempted to load my thinktanks. It said out of range. All i did was, when the game was first loading, i pressed alt+enter right away, so it started in windowed mode with a res of 800x600. And i got it to work.

If that does not work, try this.

Take one of the dedicated server files from the dedicated shortcuts folder, copy it and paste it into home/belikin/thinktanks (where you installed TT, i assume)

Open it, delete everything that is in it and put in

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
GAME_HOME_PATH='/home/belikin/ThinkTanks'
echo "Inserting lib directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${GAME_HOME_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./ThinkTanks.bin -nohomedir -console -windowed

Make sure the GAME_HOME_PATH is correct, save the file, double click on the file, and watch the game run in windowed mode. Good luck
Musick-TMG-

:duckie: "I got a idea"
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

Hey bel thanks alot for youre help i got mine to work and it works just fine..I had the same problem as you with the terminal popping up for a split second..Did what you said and it helped.. Although i didnt have that problem of out of range..But if i click anywhere in the menu to select my name and server and all that, the screen does tend to turn black for a split second everytime i click, Other then that it works fine..Thanks for you help
taty MDTKL

Re: Getting TT to run on linux

Post by taty MDTKL »

lol i installed linux on my iPod and now my iPod has ThinkTanks! thaks!
OoFfa
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by OoFfa »

Thanks mainly to Bel I too have TT running on Linux (ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron). I also had the flashing blank screen and the tip to delete "/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" from the TT file got mine to work....(Thanks Bel! :monkey: )

I had one more issue in full screen mode Linux wanted to drop the screen to windowed to show the top task bar. This resulted in loosing focus on the TT screen and and thus loosing control of the TT app. I found a workaround for this by entering then exiting a game in full screen mode. When you get back to the console TT would revert to windowed then go back to TT options and flick between windowed and fullscreen... hey presto no more problems. [EDIT] This was fixed after I installed the ATI drivers for my graphics card, now I have full compwiz(sp) too !!!

Got to say linux magnets are much better than windows magnets :whistling:
NS Leader Treyo
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by NS Leader Treyo »

I had switched from Windows to linux, went to GG and got my copy back, it was a binary file, and now linux is :? with the bin file and it wont run, help? :oops:
NS Leader Treyo
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by NS Leader Treyo »

Oh, And it also says, bash: syntax error near unexpected token spc. My computers doing this to me! :pirate: But i can always do this to it :throw: