DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Getting TT to run on linux

Request help or offer help.

Moderator: Moderator

belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Getting TT to run on linux

Post by belikin »

Edited: The following Instructions into post 6-20-08:

The following directions were given to me. Although i have not had much luck getting my machine to work with them i do believe they are good instructions.

Use easy unbuntu to install basic requirements

Install Think Tanks on Linux

1. Place TT download in home folder
2. open terminal window
3. type cd(spc)/home(spc)/belikin <------------Inplace of the belikin you need your informaion.
4. type sh(spc) DRAG TT ICON TO WINDOW
5. enter
6. change installation path to /home/belikin/thinktanks
7. Symbolic links = NO

The following link was given to me but it no longer works so I used EnvyNG to install my Nvidia driver. EnvyNG will install nvidia drivers and one other brand but i cannot remember what it is.

(Go to http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper <------THIS NO LONGER WORKS
And follow Method 1 to install driver)

Running a server Roo’s Instructions (Thanks roo)

Once you get that installed then it will be time to throw up a server!

First thing to do. Go into the /home/belikin/ThinkTanks/dedicated folder and pick a game you want to host (actaully does't really matter because we will be changing things later, but we need the script). So just pick the lush cycle.sh and copy it. Then past it in your home/ belikin/ThinkTanks folder.

Second. Use the Text Editor (located in Applications-Accessories) to edit the cycle.sh with some info I got from dash awhile back. Makes it a lot easier to deal with. Replace all with this info.

#!/bin/bash
GAME_HOME_PATH='/home/belikin/ThinkTanks'
echo "Inserting lib directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./ThinkTanks.bin -dedicated -nohomedir -console -mission game/data/missions/”MISSION_NAME”.mis -game TB

Third. You have to find the prefs.cs Go to your home folder and click view - then click Show hidden files - Then go to the .bravetree/ThinkTanks/game/server folder. Just cut and the paste to your /home/belikin/ThinkTanks/game/server folder. Just edit the server prefrences here.

Fourth. Launch the server. Open a terminal. Type cd /home/belikin/ThinkTanks <hit enter> then type sh(spc) (and drag the .sh file from the ThinkTankls folder to the terminsl window, And away you go

You can install everything else like you do in windows, like the dash codes and such. Its just now gedit has taken the place of notepad.

I have installed Linux on my machine and i am having some trouble getting TT to run on it. Web browsing and email is no problem at all.

I have my TT located here /home/belikin/ThinkTanks. I go into the folder and double click this /home/belikin/ThinkTanks/thinktanks and it ask me if i want to run TT i say yes and for a split second i see a black screen and then nothing.

If i pick the other option and open it in the terminal window, again it flashes for a second and nothing. I worked my fingers fast and got a screen shot of the terminal window while it was open for that split second. The picture is below. There is something about a locking assertion error in the picture. Not sure if that is relevant.

I updated my graphics card driver with the use of envyNG. I believe that was successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

belikin

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 processor 3700+
1024 DDR dual channel memory
Nvidia 7600GT
Dual boot Ubuntu 8.04 Kernel 2.6.24-16/ Windows XP

MusickTMG
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Re: problem getting TT to run on linux

Post by MusickTMG »

I have been having some trouble with this too. But mine is a little different. My game runs, until i try to join a server. When i join a server, i load the datablocks, and objects, them my game just quits.

Basically the same specs as bel.

Geforce 7050M-M mobo
Duel boot Ubuntu 8.04 (Most recent Update)/ Windows XP
Musick-TMG-

:duckie: "I got a idea"
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

Maybe shoot NUTS! or Dj Wings an email. They know an awful lot about Linux.. No doubt they know how to deal with your problems.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
DJ Wings
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by DJ Wings »

Not the foggiest. I haven't had this error before for anything, sorry.
Never really gone, never really part of the game.
belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by belikin »

is the game 32bit?

do i need this?
To install ia32-libs and possibly ia32-libs-sdl.
Scyth
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Scyth »

works on my 64-bit apple..
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by belikin »

I will try again with a new download tomorrow. Played a scramble today came home and collapsed on the couch. Yea it was fun.
belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by belikin »

Hey i really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this post and trying to help me out.

First i found the problem with my game not loading correctly. My problem was that the game would load and then flash a black screen for a second and then nothing. I also had the same condition as Musick. The game would load all the data blocks and the objects and then nothing.

The problem was a "locking assertion failure"

I dug around the Ubuntu forums and found someone else had the same problem with a game called "neverwinter nights." The fix is to change some script in the thinktanks shell file. This is the file you click on to get the game going. Open the shell file in the text editor and look towards the bottom for this:

# first run the updater if it is there

if [ "$RUN_UPDATER" = "true" ] && [ ! -e "${GAME_HOME_PATH}/noupdate" ] && [ -x "${GAME_HOME_PATH}/update" ]
then
${GAME_HOME_PATH}/update --auto
fi

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${GAME_HOME_PATH}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

EXEFULL=ThinkTanks.bin
EXEDEMO=ThinkTanksDemo.bin

Delete what i have colored in blue and you should be on your way. I have no idea what this is or what it does but removing it did get the demo version of the game going for me.

Keep in mind that taking computer advice from me is like sending a single woman out for drinks with Three. Caution is advised. Back up your files first.

There is still a problem with the full version and this is where you come in.

When i launch the game i get an error on my monitor. "Analog out of range 81.3 Khz / 65hz" During this time my screen is black and nothing happens. I can escape from it without any trouble.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Again thanks
NUTS!
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by NUTS! »

Yes I have had this problem too. Happens when I try and run run TT with the TT shell script for some reason. Try in a terminal:
cd /home/beli/Thinktanks <enter>
./ThinkTanks.bin

See if that works for you. Works for me on Ubuntu. To adress the the 32/64 bit issue. I have had tried to run TT in the past on a 64 Ubuntu but it did not have the 32bit libs that TT requires. It would have been a pain to add them all. But that was a awhile ago, things may have changed.

edit: also make sure that your video card drivers are updated and enabled.
belikin
Popped Bot Head
Popped Bot Head

Post by belikin »

Yea no luck there.

Using the full version of TT I ran ./ThinkTanks.bin in the terminal window and had the same condition, a black screen with a centered blue box stating Analog out of range 81.3 KHz / 65hz.

The demo version works fine if i do not put it in full screen. If i choose to put the demo into full screen the computer freezes up and need to power it down with the power button.