DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Well done Mr Phobik !

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done Mr Phobik !

Post by ThatGuySam »

Well done Phobik for finally getting PTT2 up again :tankerhappy1: :thumbup:
Have Fun Always
Sam

Has been playing TT Since: 28th October 2012
Join ThinkTanks' Discord Server: https://discord.gg/H7fGD6E
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: Well done Mr Phobik !

Post by THE V »

Hey Phoby- Did they at least give you a major amount of free hosting due to their incompetence?

Great to see this site back up

Thank you,
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

Well, here it is again! Good to see the forums back up. Onward, ho!
Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cloud »

The company this website is hosted at did not reimburse us, though they should. We literally lost everything. Thankfully there was a lone back up made about 4 months ago. The back up was made prior to a lot of changes thus pho had to spend countless hours recoding and what not. Pho has made steps to insure that this doesn't happen again as we have automatic back ups daily. Thanks for taking the time out of your summer vacation to fix this baby up.
//()*()*()*()*--[][][][]-^-^)(CLOUD)(^-^-[][][][]--()*()*()*()\\
Taylor
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Taylor »

Wow, that sounds like a close call! Glad to see the website back :)
I signed up on New Years!
Macs Rule!
Proud BMT Member
Speedo
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Speedo »

Are you allowed to reveal why or how this happened? I'm sure a lot of us are curious.
Gimmie the scrum!
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

Speedo wrote:Are you allowed to reveal why or how this happened? I'm sure a lot of us are curious.
Long story short, an exploit was released for SolusVM (a very popular control panel for companies that provide servers) which allowed an attacker to perform any command on all nodes. This was a zero-day exploit so shortly after it was released, many companies that use this control panel were hacked.

The company I host the majority of my servers with (including PTT2) was also hacked.
“Around 3am Eastern Standard Time (EST) today, there was a security breach, due to a vulnerability in SolusVM that allowed a command line to be run to dump the SolusVM client database and attempt to delete all data from our nodes. Our staff is working tirelessly to get everything back online, along working with SolusVM to address the root issue and no furthur impact is expected.”
Unfortunately, the hackers were successful in deleting all data and dumping the database. This resulted in all servers being wiped. I did not have automated daily backups running for the forums, so the latest backup I had was of around 4 months ago.

I've now set up things differently, and have daily backups of the forums/database. If anything ever happens again, it won't be much of a problem to restore the forums.
Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

Let me add my voice to the many thank you's for the effort to get ptt2 back up and keeping it going!
For some reason my old username/password didnt work otherwise I would have chimed in earlier.
Good to be back!
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

Superb recovery from a bad situation, great effort recoding the old backup to get the site back up. We all appreciate the work you have done to keep PTT forums alive, good job :monkey: :tankerguns:
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

On a side note, I've restored the PTT1 archives which can be accessed by clicking on the 'PTT1 Archives' link under the site logo.
Master server statuses are also available for both GarageGames and my master server. :thumbup: