DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Breathing New Life into the game?

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Cadc
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Breathing New Life into the game?

Post by Cadc »

So i've been thinking, since Windows 7 users can now get the game free, and well, the game itself is not that expensive, would it be possible to promote the game on Steam?

I mean, I know we don't own the licenses to the game or anything like that, but i'm sure we can probably pull some strings to get the creator's permission to make it happen.

if this game were to go on Steam, This place would be flooded with new activity, I guarantee it.

and well, I do run two fairly successful youtube gaming channels to bring more exposure to the game:

Youtube Channel 1: cadcsa

Youtube Channel 2: cadcTV

Well, let me know what you think :)
Ps: Great Games Last night.. I feel more alive already :thumbup:
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breathing New Life into the game?

Post by LGM »

The real problem with trying to promote the game has to do with intellectual property rights. When GarageGames was bought out, it was part of a corporation. That corporation pulled the plug on GarageGames. The part of GG that developed the web based games (like the TT clone) died.

Now GG only does game development software, and no longer holds the intellectual property rights to ThinkTanks.

I think we could call TT "abandonware" but that is a legal gray area.
Cadc
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Cadc »

So then no one owns TT, or rather claims ownership of TT? :|
Jacob the JESUSFREAK
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Jacob the JESUSFREAK »

so can we find out who owns it?

how would we?
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

OK... Bravetree made TT and was acquired by GarageGames, but after a while, GG made a web-based version after being acquired by InstantAction. That was owned by an internet conglomerate, IAC.

IAC shut down InstantAction. They sold off the Torque side of GarageGames and it is now being run as GarageGames.

However, if I remember right, they still own the rights to TT and the other games from GarageGames. They aren't doing anything with it, but they own it. I tried a couple of times to get in touch with IAC about gifting this community the source of TT, but never got a reply.

IAC- http://www.iac.com/

Info from Wikipedia (seems pretty accurate)- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GarageGames
Cadc
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Cadc »

thanks for the info LGM, I may give it a shot myself some time 8)
TMG Leader
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by TMG Leader »

If we can't get it to Steam, I think our best option would be to continue to promote it through Youtube. We could make an official PTT2 channel and direct users from there to the game and to PTT2.

As for the selling of the game, shockwave seems to be the only people selling it. Macgamestore discontinued the product on their website due to the lack of support I'm assuming.

Assuming that shockwave keys are shockwave keys, the only way mac users could possibly use the shockwave game is via Wineskin Winery or Wine (since I see no mac version). Then again, not a big deal. I've ported several games using Wine and Cider so I could get it running in a heartbeat. No, there wouldn't be any lag within the port, the game is so old and any computer today could handle it through an "emulator" so to speak.
First to fall, last man standing.
C_lion
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by C_lion »

I am afraid if you build it...they will come.
.......It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
SquidRing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by SquidRing »

Hi all. I lost my copy of TT a long time ago, you are saying I can get a free copy??? Where?? Cheers from down under.
Cadc
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Cadc »