DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Queued players- management in Phobik's

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Queued players- management in Phobik's

Post by LGM »

First, let me say that I think having a place for waiting players has some merit. It's good to know if you are in a TS game, and someone is waiting, the game will continue if you have to drop out.

However, in this age of TT's lifespan, it seems ridiculous to have two players waiting in a line while eight play on. Why not just raise the max by two so they can drop in, too?

Yesterday I was in line... and getting very bored of it. Another player joined, and we waited a whole game out. Then the next game started. Same thing. There were at least two players in the game who have admin privileges. I do too.

I suggested raising the max to 10. (score was 0 to 0) One player immediately responded negatively, and some others were fine with it. No decision. I could have raised it myself, but didn't out of respect to the admins present. Tired of watching the flag bounce around in my face, I left. I noticed the other vet who was waiting left right after me.

Can we agree that with two in the queue, we could raise the number in game to 10? We know the server can handle it. There's precious little opportunity for a TS game these days, and sitting there rotting isn't going to encourage me to try to be #9 or #10. I've other things to do. They're increasingly replacing TT.
C_lion
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Re: Queued players- management in Phobik's

Post by C_lion »

I know what you mean LG....I was waiting also and appreciate the queue. I like to watch and learn while waiting. Someone also suggested to let the 2 of us queuees (whattaword) play. Same reaction you got. Mixed.
Bottom line....I like the feature...I like the game...I like the players...I like a fine wine...a beautiful woman....a starry night...spam...Portuguese sausage...tako poki.................geeze...I hate when I do that.

I also understand that sometimes a magic game atmosphere can be ruined by an unwholesome influence and the players in the game might want to play that game as is the roster at the time. I'm good with that. But to wait too long...you get like..."Put me in Coach...I'm ready to play!!"
.......It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
get some
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by get some »

i was the other player waiting with LGM. it was pretty unbelievable how exclusive the management of the one remaining TS server has become. considering the state that this community is in, i find it amazing that 2 known vets waiting in the que cant be accommodated.

but i'm not gonna sweat over it too much. this game has long been losing its appeal and with the exodus of so many others that i have played alongside with i kind of see this as the writing on the wall for me.

the game is being managed under a different philosophy than what i grew to really enjoy a few years back. i got my 15bucks worth....or whatever i paid. cant really complain too much about that.
Dont Go Ninja'in Nobody Don't Need Ninja'in
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

People still play the game?? oops' I knew I was missing something.

Maybe I ought to check and see if my server is still up.
Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cloud »

First of all, the Queue system was created so that instead of people knocking, they could sit in the server and watch, wait in line, know when the next person is going to leave, etc. The whole point was to have more options so it wasn't a luck sort of thing trying to get into a full server.

I am totally alright if we open it up. I am fine if they don't. The player waiting doesn't have to be there. He/she is choosing to be there and wait. With that said, I am in favor of opening it up from 8 to 10 if two people are waiting. I never really open it because I know many complain, but if this inclusive thing remains, we can make it a rule if two people are waiting for a certain amount of time, admins must open it up to 10. Of course this would be ONLY if two people are waiting, not just one person.

Of course in TBM, open it up.

Phobik likes the idea of opening up the server. The more people the better.

It technically is the admin's discretion right now, but just so we all know, I am totally in favor of opening it up to 10. I wouldn't open it to 12 though...

And I apologize if it was me that wasn't opening it up. This community has dwindled down over the years and there is no reason to keep a server to only 8 when two people are patiently waiting.

my 2 cents
//()*()*()*()*--[][][][]-^-^)(CLOUD)(^-^-[][][][]--()*()*()*()\\
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

The player who negatively responded when you asked to open it to 10 was me, LGM (but you probably already knew that). I understand that the people waiting want to play. But honestly, if you're not there before the games start, you may be waiting awhile. And like Cloud said, if you're waiting in the queue, it's your choice; you don't have to be waiting if you don't want to.

Because of the differences in the size of maps, it's hard to play 5 on 5. On a smaller map the game becomes about spawns (more so than usual), luck and piling up at the goal. It's not about passing or the basics of team play. On a huge map, sure, 5's would be great, but you never know with the assortment Phobik hosts. And I really like the different sizes. Some teams do better on smaller maps, some do better on larger ones. It's usually different every game depending on the map, and that is what makes the game such a challenge.

I only dislike 10 when it's a small map. I obviously don't know how Phobik's admins like to run things, but a democracy has always seemed like the right way to go. With the community continuing to dwindle, why make more waves? Why open to 10 if only 3/8 of the server or less want to do so? Players may get frustrated/irritated, decide to leave and the game ends. Then opening the server to 10 is useless. (If the majority vote is with opening the server to 10, then I'll shut up. A vote's a vote)

Also, if you're ever thinking of opening the server to more than 10, you obviously don't know how TS works. Or you're just messing around, which is fun every once in a while.

Some players may think that all you're actually doing is running around with the scrum until you can score. No. HAHA! No, there is a system--but that is a whole other topic.

I'm just saying that putting the max number of players to a vote would be the wisest thing to do. Maybe another scripting idea for Phobik? And since I'm being so honest, I think admins should be eliminated altogether. In Phobik's servers, players can change their team color, vote to kick a player, and vote to change the map (which can be used to restart a game). In my opinion, that's all an admin is.

Hey, maybe we could even vote to make a certain player an admin for a handful of games (if things actually get out of hand).

@LGM--"precious little opportunity for a TS game"? Hate to break it to you but there are games nightly, always at the same time. Despite the complexity of the game, there are many players still yearning to play.

@getsome--Are you implying that vets should get special treatment? The players that currently play more than others are the one who get the spots in the TS servers. My suggestion is that you get to the games earlier, when there are spots. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for sometime.
Last edited by parCAT on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
meow !
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

I posted this to get a conversation about the queuing system going. I didn't name names because it isn't important.

I don't think there's any reason to keep people out of games. This game has been slowly fading over the last few years, and is being played by many fewer than two years ago. There are not as many servers to play in, and keeping our existing players out of games seems unwise to me.

Sitting in line isn't that much fun. The novelty wears off quickly. I'm willing to put up with it if there seems to be a possibility of getting in. Therefore, I see it as important that if two are waiting, they get in. Maybe not immediately, but why not on the next game? The only other way in is if someone leaves. We know leaving good TS action isn't easy for a TT addict to do, and I thank the one who was willing to give me their place that night. Classy.

Making pairs wait isn't smart. I don't care how small the map is, it's about player access to the server. That has to take precedence over numbers on a small map. If 8 people get in and then keep playing for two hours, the others who'd like to play are locked out. When a couple more show, let 'em in. It's selfish not to.

Glad to hear Phobik prefers to open it up to 10.

Of course, every argument I'm making for going from 8 to 10 will also fit with 10 to 12, but I don't see that as very smart. Twelve in TS is a little too much.
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

Like I said, a democracy is the wisest way to go. If the majority votes to make it 10, go for it. Otherwise, I can promise you that players will snap and leave.

Adding scripting features like voting the max number of players and voting a player into observer (so they don't get kicked for inactivity) could be key for managing pho's servers without an admin. Just a thought.
meow !
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

@LGM--"precious little opportunity for a TS game"? Hate to break it to you but there are games nightly, always at the same time.
Please... check out what I see 90% of the time:
The usual
The usual
snap.png (74.28 KiB) Viewed 10234 times
@getsome--Are you implying that vets should get special treatment? The players that currently play more than others are the one who get the spots in the TS servers. My suggestion is that you get to the games earlier, when there are spots. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for sometime.
Or, in other words, "you snooze, you lose"? Very neighborly of ya, there. Maybe you should try to see the world from more than your point of view.
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

@LGM

All I am saying is that making the player max 10 should be put to a vote. And it should only be done when there are 2 people waiting in the queue.

It's true though, that if you're not in the game before it gets full, you'll be waiting for while; if you're snoozing, you're losing. Sure, that's easy for me to say because I'm usually in the game already playing. If I had been in your shoes waiting in line, I'd be sick of waiting too. I didn't mean to sound ignorant, so I apologize for that.

The queue is a dark, lonely place.
meow !