DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Queued players- management in Phobik's

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

C_lion
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Re: Queued players- management in Phobik's

Post by C_lion »

I'm seeing that we all fundamentally agree on most things and you all, at this point, just respectfully disagree on some details. We all have opinions the same as we all have ...um...er....welll.......elbows of course. My opinion, in my opinion, doesn't carry as much weight as vets with practical YEARS of experience so shoooooooottttzzzzzzzzz.......I'm all for goin with the flow and singing Kumbaya!!!
Now come on folks....break out the smores....make nice....we'll tweak the system and move on.

Aloha
.......It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
LGM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LGM »

The queue is a dark, lonely place.
@ parCAT
That it is... thanks for understanding. I'm OK with a vote or a declaration that the next game goes to 10. I don't see a vote as necessary- just do it.

Not that I see it happening all that often. Just want us all to get a fair shot at a game. Seems like the same 4 people are always in there, and the rest of us get the crumbs.

Sorry if I came off badly, but it's annoying sometimes. I will now resume my regular programming.
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

LGM wrote:I'm OK with a vote or a declaration that the next game goes to 10. I don't see a vote as necessary- just do it.
Sure, that works. I for one have no problem with that, just make sure the other admins know.
LGM wrote:Just want us all to get a fair shot at a game. Seems like the same 4 people are always in there, and the rest of us get the crumbs.
Next time I'm playing and you're in the queue, get ready to jump on in.
LGM wrote:Sorry if I came off badly, but it's annoying sometimes.
Likewise.
meow !
Mr Phobik
Site Mechanic
Site Mechanic

Post by Mr Phobik »

Hey guys,

So I created the queue so it would encourage people to stay in game, rather than get tired of knocking and quit TT. It wasn't made to drive people off, heh. Honestly with me, I don't care how many people are in game. The more the better – it’s not like my server can't handle it. It seems though that when I set it to 10 (which is what I set it to when I start the server), someone sets it back to 8 - or if nobody does, people tell me to bring it down to 8.
Now I understand that more than 10 people is too much in TS. That said, with the small number of players currently playing, we need all the players we can get. So if the maximum number of players that wouldn’t ruin TS is 10, why not leave it at 10? I don’t really play so I don’t know the difference between 8 and 10 players. Is it really that much of a difference?
LGM wrote:Can we agree that with two in the queue, we could raise the number in game to 10?
parCAT wrote:I’m just saying that putting the max number of players to a vote would be the wisest thing to do. Maybe another scripting idea for Phobik?
I like that idea. That, and if people aren’t okay with having the server always set to 10, I could make the server automatically start a vote to increase the max to 10 when we have 2 people in the queue.
parCAT wrote:Hey, maybe we could even vote to make a certain player an admin for a handful of games (if things actually get out of hand).
I’m okay with this as well. If there’s no admin in game, players can vote to give someone temporary permissions to only change players teams, restart, make obs, and kick (which is really all you need) until a normal admin joins. Once an admin joins, the person voted to be admin loses his/her powers. Although I can already see this being abused, it is an option.
parCAT wrote:voting a player into observer (so they don't get kicked for inactivity)
This could also be done.

Thoughts?
pho
parCAT
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by parCAT »

Mr Phobik wrote:That, and if people aren’t okay with having the server always set to 10, I could make the server automatically start a vote to increase the max to 10 when we have 2 people in the queue.
I like that idea even more! It goes along with my majority vote thing. This way the admin(s) won't get the only say in it. Definitely something to consider.
Mr Phobik wrote:If there’s no admin in game, players can vote to give someone temporary permissions to only change players teams, restart, make obs, and kick (which is really all you need) until a normal admin joins. Once an admin joins, the person voted to be admin loses his/her powers.
Yes. My thoughts exactly. Sure, it may be abused, but if this happens, punishment for this temporary admin and the certain players who voted him/her to be admin should follow (i.e. suspension from voting privs and/or ability to be voted temporary admin)

Also, the voting a player into observer is great for when an admin is not present. The very loud YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE KICKED FOR INACTIVITY alarm is scary, and it can get a little annoying for players who keep having to hear it. Answer: /vote obs parCAT
meow !
Speedo
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Speedo »

Odd number of players: One person in the queue.
Even number of players up to 10: Let everyone play.

I don't care how small the map is.

If you hate playing 5v5 on a small map, stop taking that particular TS night so seriously. There will be plenty of times later for a 4-, 6-, or 8-player game, whether it is later that night or Valentine's Day. Maybe you should have logged onto TT earlier that night before the huge crowd came?

If there are 12 people, keep two in the queue. 14? keep four in.

Once the game is done, the courteous thing to do is to offer to switch places with someone in the queue. This has been discussed earlier. Par is willing to do this. I am willing to do this. I would guess Cloud and TW would also not mind.

Voting on who the temporary admin should be is impractical. So is voting to raise the max number of players. Even so, with the idea above I have conceived, there really is no need for an admin or voting.
Gimmie the scrum!
BerthaCampaDiva
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by BerthaCampaDiva »

f the consortium... I say we put it to a vote now. (hehe)

Here's an idea: When there are 8 players, automatically bump the player limit to 10. Any people after that can get in the queue.

Small maps are fine with 10 people. There's no valid reason to not open the game up.

(Kudos to Phobik for implementing the queue it's a great idea! Thanks!)