DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

HELP: How to adjust TT volume

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

HELP: How to adjust TT volume

Post by Baba »

My problem is that the sound within Think Tanks seems to be governed by how I set my audio/sound settings for the computer as a whole.
The slider within "options" inside the TT app never affects anything for me - been that way for years.
So if I want to listen to music, or most practically want to converse in Skype while playing I cant separately select volume levels for this while I play.
It makes it pretty much impossible to hear a conversation in Skype with the sounds of the game (shooting, area effects etc..) drowning out the conversation.
The V seemed to think he found something within TT (in the package contents) that adjusted it, I looked and could not find anything for sure (though I saw various audio settings).
Ideally I would like to hear the TT sounds very low, then be able to adjust my system or other app volumes independently to that.
I'm on a Mac should that affect your advice.
Many Thanks!
gray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: HELP: How to adjust TT volume

Post by gray »

I edited the sound files, reducing their volume, and it worked. I'm sure there's an app for that, even on a mac.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ is free, available for OSX
Last edited by gray on Thu May 12, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Triv
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Triv »

Try this... it's from 56k I recall...
Notes are from my own settings...

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// VolumeControl [main.cs]
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
//Use - and = to control volume. Default 9 bars.
//Use CTRL - and CTRL = to control music volume. Default 6 bars.
//Use Shift - and Shift = to control sfx volume. Default 9 bars.
exec("game/server/scripts/VolumeControl.cs");

http://www.2shared.com/file/b_wiTnpB/VolumeControl.html
Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

Thanks for your response Triv, but I'll need a bit more hand holding than that for me to correctly add that to my main.cs
So I found main.cs in contents/resources
I assume that is the correct file to adjust.
So how much of your post gets added into that file?
Also where exactly does it get added?
Does it need anything to separate it from the previous section ? (I see lots of {'s and }'s in there)
Also does that link have anything to do with my question?
many thanks
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

Baba,

Impressive, Triv actually remembered how to do it. I did it to my system so long ago I forgot how.

This line goes on the bottom of the main.cs file. This is the only bit of code that is active. Anything line starting with "//" is a comment and not executed in the code. This is the only line that matters.

Code: Select all

exec("game/server/scripts/VolumeControl.cs");
This just says to execute the file located here. So you need to place the file on the link in the /game/server/scripts/ folder.

And that pretty much sums up my knowledge of programming.

THE V
Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

well I did all of the above and it didnt do a thing.

One thing I noticed was that the downloaded sound file
"VolumeControl.cs" which you said to pace in the /game/server/scripts/ folder has a different ending than all the others in that folder - all others end with .dso

Is there a Mac difference here?
is there some setting in my keyboard system preference I need to adjust?
Would really like to get this to work.

many thanks
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by THE V »

Try deleting \ThinkTanks\game\`main.cs.dso and then I'm out of idea's.
Reagent X
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Reagent X »

One solution is to hook up some external speakers. Use the speaker volume control to adjust down the TT sounds. Then use a headset for Skype. You can then adjust the volumes separately.
-Rx
Baba
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Baba »

I appreciate all suggestions, I am still looking for a solution here.
Supra had made some adjustments to a TT file that permanently turned down the TT app volume to a low level - this would be fine for me as all I really want to know is when someone is lighting me up with fire, then comp system volume can be adjusted as needed.
I still await Supra sending me those adjusted settings.
Dazzle
Evil Site Admin
Evil Site Admin

Post by Dazzle »

Baba,

The best way to do way you want is to use the the VolumeControl.cs file that you already have, if you have placed it in the correct folder game server scripts and then placed the exec line in the main.cs it will load. Then when in game (as Triv said) you have to:

Hold down CTRL and then use - and = (_ and +) to control music volume
Hold down SHIFT and then use - and = (_ and +) to control sfx volume

I have used this script for years and its great for what you want, although I cant recall anyone using it on a mac so there could be some issue I'm not sure. If its a keyboard thing (ie with shift and ctrl or with the - and = keys) these could be changed.

Personally I do a similar thing to what RX suggested, set up your computer sounds to send all voice sounds to a headset and normal computer sounds to your speakers, then you have total control - I am not a Macer so cant tell you how to do this but on a pc the settings are adjusted in control panel/Sounds and Audio Devices.

Failing the above you will have to do it the the old fashioned way, takes a little longer to sort out but is just as effective.

1) open the ThinkTanks\game\client\prefs.cs (this is the same file you adjusted the master server information in)

2) look for these lines, they are usually at the top.

<code>$pref::Audio::channelVolume1 = 1;
$pref::Audio::channelVolume2 = "1";
$pref::Audio::channelVolume3 = 1;
$pref::Audio::channelVolume4 = "0";
$pref::Audio::channelVolume5 = 1;
$pref::Audio::channelVolume6 = 1;
$pref::Audio::channelVolume7 = 1;
$pref::Audio::channelVolume8 = 1;</code>

3) Change the value within the " " to change the volume level

$pref::Audio::channelVolume2 = 1; controls the tank sounds.
$pref::Audio::channelVolume4 = 0; controls the music

Try 0.5 as a starter for the tank sounds and 0.65 for music, of course 0 completely turns off the sound on that channel.

4) Save the file

5) Find the prefs.cs.dso in the ThinkTanks\game\client folder and delete it

6) Start the game and check your settings, if its not how you want it to be close down TT and change the $pref::Audio::channelVolume values to something else, delete the dso and fire TT back up. Repeat this process until you have the game volumes you require.

Hope that helps, if you have any issues post and I will see if I can assist. May also be useful if you post your final values for anyone else that wants to do it this way.

Finally for you and everyone else who reads this thread I would recommend that you do not delete the ThinkTanks\game\main.cs.dso file as the game will not start.