DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

It's 12:31 am and I need sleep

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Downgrade
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

It's 12:31 am and I need sleep

Post by Downgrade »

Well, not that late, but the lack of sleep and I don't know...nostalgia brought me to this place again.
I just feel like getting some things off of my chest.
I remember finding this game way back then when I was 10 I think, it was on advertisement in Marble Blast(gold I think) after you quit the game or something, they advertised the garagegames website, I checked it out, found ThinkTanks and the rest is pure bliss.
I know I was quite the annoying 10-12 year old here, hell, I've gone through my old posts and I can't help but cringe.
But the truth is, as annoying I may have seemed to be, this game was a big part of my childhood, it introduced me to online gaming, online communities, it helped me with my English as English is not my native language. I had a blast being part of TMG, I would have considered TMG Leader and Musick to be my first online friends(cheers to you two, wherever you may be!). I had a ton of fun making those horrible maps of mine, I even got a lil bit into scripting I remember.

I can't tell you how excited I was for rollerball season 2. I was going through dazzle's website almost every day for news on it.
And now when I think about this game, I just get mixed feelings of happiness and sadness.

And now I'm some soon to be 23 year old, still into gaming, and man do I miss this game, I miss the community and it's very sad to see what was once a great and booming community end up being a dead and silent forum board.
As cheesy as this is, I'd like to thank all of you for the great time and amazing memories.

Keep on Tanking, this game will forever be part of us.
~ DownGrade
The memories will never die.
THE V
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Re: It's 12:31 am and I need sleep

Post by THE V »

A hell, these obnoxious kids keep growing up. Most of the kids when this game was active are in their early to late 20's and are sounding like responsible adults. Glad to hear they grew up well.
Cloud
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cloud »

Seems like a lot of reminiscing of old TT days in the forums. A lot of you guys have grown up (me included) while playing this game. When I first joined TT when the game came out, I was like 12 or 13. So many memories of this game. A lot of those memories are on this site and the PTT1 Archives link at the top left of this website. This is why we keep this site running! I hear there are still games and every now and then I check to see if there are games. Glad you enjoyed the game Downgrade and please come and play sometime. Sounds like you are doing well. If you need help getting the game again, please let me know.
//()*()*()*()*--[][][][]-^-^)(CLOUD)(^-^-[][][][]--()*()*()*()\\
Downgrade
Need Major Repair
Need Major Repair

Post by Downgrade »

Another good memory is when Fixit released his Tornado race map(It was either Fixit or T-Bone).
Everyone and their mother got on that map and raced all day long, I remember there was a loop in the middle with an eagle on top that gave you points and for the life of me I could never get it, I think I only managed to get it once.

Fixit and T-Bone were gods at making racing maps.
The memories will never die.
ArtCrazy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by ArtCrazy »

You're not the only one to miss the game. I'm currently 24, and started playing TT at 12 or so. Yeah, I've spent as much time alive after being introduced to ThinkTanks, as I did before then ;)

After some time of playing, I started to dabble into modding and scripting. At first, I was terrible, but I spent like one whole year playing around with dash's codes and slowly self-taught myself how to program in Torque Script. The last few years of the game, I was mostly a "full-time scripter", and at one point I'm not even sure if I played the game more than a couple of hours per year. However, I always really enjoyed modding and scripting the game.

Today I'm about to graduate as an Electrical and Computer Engineer, specialized in Computer Architecture. It might be fair to say that without TT, I might not be where I am today. Not saying I would have taken a completely different path, but ThinkTanks was a very important part of my childhood and helped shape my interests, and be the man I am today. It is really sad to see that it is as dead, but I will always treasure all the memories I have of all the time I spent on PTT, or playing/modding/scripting ThinkTanks.

I don't really remember you (Downgrade) very well, but I believe we had quite a few interactions back then.

Once I get more stable (find a job, etc), I've been planning to spend some time looking into a possible "ThinkTanks reborn", by porting the game into the latest T3D version. Maybe then we could get some new blood into the game! It's probably not going to be easy (if even possible), and even if it does, we're not guaranteed to find a community, but I owe it to the game to at least try :)

PS: I just noticed that the PTT1 archives are actually back up! I thought they had been lost forever, and all we had was the Internet Wayback Machine. I would love to get a copy of the whole archive, does anyone know who I could contact?
Tilo
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Tilo »

Well,

I also used to play this game as a child and spent much time playing those funny gamemodes and maps :D.
However, I got a bit nostalgic today and found out that this forum still exists. Still remember players like thanksalot, cloud, deadduck etc.
It really makes me sad that there were no (fun) servers online anymore when I downloaded the demo today, but thats just necessary I guess.
Still waiting for ThinkTanks 2 though ;).
ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ThatGuySam »

Hey Art,

Check ur PMs.
Have Fun Always
Sam

Has been playing TT Since: 28th October 2012
Join ThinkTanks' Discord Server: https://discord.gg/H7fGD6E
ArtCrazy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by ArtCrazy »

ThatGuySam wrote:Hey Art,

Check ur PMs.
Thanks! I've replied :)
ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ThatGuySam »

ArtCrazy wrote: Today I'm about to graduate as an Electrical and Computer Engineer, specialized in Computer Architecture.
Congratulations man!
ArtCrazy wrote: Once I get more stable (find a job, etc), I've been planning to spend some time looking into a possible "ThinkTanks reborn", by porting the game into the latest T3D version. Maybe then we could get some new blood into the game! It's probably not going to be easy (if even possible), and even if it does, we're not guaranteed to find a community, but I owe it to the game to at least try :)
It would be great if we could get a new community (of course some of the old too!), u never know a ThinkTanks 2 could take off!
Have Fun Always
Sam

ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ThatGuySam »

This might help with the project: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849693544 - Torque 3D Game Development Cookbook

UPDATE: Torque 3D Documentation: http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/
Have Fun Always
Sam