DAZZLE'S UPGRADE PACK

If you haven't already done so, upgrade your game by downloading Dazzle's all-in-one upgrade pack. It comes with everything you need for today's servers. Does your blue bar freeze when joining servers? Do you lag in games? Do you get an annoying siren in Phobik's Servers? This is what you need. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

Any ways of bringing TT back?

Discuss anything.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator

Hyper-X
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Any ways of bringing TT back?

Post by Hyper-X »

Let me preface by saying that while I haven't posted much, and have been a lurker, I've been playing this game since the PTT1 Days since late 2004 or so. It's sad to watch this game die. Is there any way you guys think to bring back TT and maybe the IA version? With the IA versions updates, it may still be possible to get a new player base, however small. What do you guys think?
Maybe we can find -z- and get him back in the game too. Those were some good times on his server. Does anyone know who currently owns the rights to TT? Bravetree is dead, GarageGames doesn't own it anymore, and InterActiveCorp, the people who ran InstantAction and bought TT from GG are defunct entirely. I would be extremely interested in finding who currently owns the rights and licenses to the game and getting in contact with them. ThinkTanks is a rare gem among computer games and needs to be preserved.
Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you get that warm feeling it brings.
CB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any ways of bringing TT back?

Post by CB »

All you can do is share the game. It will never be as popular as it was. It may be considered abandon ware by now. We can share it to friends, have them share it or share it via FB, gaming sites .ect... When we inquired with GarageGames years ago about buying it they wanted over 100 grand.

I'm not sure how there still selling it here:

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/thinktanks.jsp
They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

Red still sucks!
Hyper-X
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Hyper-X »

I'm surprised to see that shockwave is still selling it, even though the key you get wouldn't work with the ignition servers down. Turns out, after some research. IAC own the right to almost ALL of the games produced by GarageGames and Bravetree including ThinkTanks, Marble Blast, Orbz, etc..
I will try and get in contact with IAC and see if they are willing to release the game to public domain given its current status (abandonware) and if that doesnt work, maybe work on even buying the rights and licenses myself. This is something I would be very interested in doing this to see further development here. Would love to see this game open-sourced and become freeware.
Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you get that warm feeling it brings.
ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ThatGuySam »

Good luck trying to get it off IAC. I'd love to see it become open-sourced, maybe one day there will be a ton of interest in the game. Until then try and start a Kickstarter project. Anything's possible!

:rockon: :thumbup:
Have Fun Always
Sam

Has been playing TT Since: 28th October 2012
Join ThinkTanks' Discord Server: https://discord.gg/H7fGD6E
Garchomp XPL-BMT
A Few Broken Fenders
A Few Broken Fenders

Post by Garchomp XPL-BMT »

Sadly, there's probably not much hope in bringing it back besides what CB has suggested. It's a shame, even if I don't play it anymore. Still, I hope for the best.
Teasing *Sheena* (and being teased back) since... FOREVER...

Speedo
Veteran Light
Veteran Light

Post by Speedo »

Let's schedule a few TS nights so we can all look to join a game at the same time of the day.
Gimmie the scrum!
Hyper-X
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Hyper-X »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I finally got through to someone at IAC who said they are not interested in selling off or open sourcing TT (even though they don't plan on doing anything with it).
I'm still gonna work on trying to get it, but I don't know how it will go. Just know I'm working on it. I'll try to get a different representative to talk to about it.
CB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CB »

You actually talked with someone who knew the name "Think Tanks" ? I don't think they know where the source code for the game is physically. If the game meets the abandon ware criteria we have to work on Garage Games who still has a copy of the source. I'm sure Legally they won't give it up. Talking to someone higher up in IAC may be only possible option. Glad someone is trying thou, Thanks for the effort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

Red still sucks!
Hyper-X
New Brainjar
New Brainjar

Post by Hyper-X »

The person I talked to at IAC didn't know it at first, and had to look it up, but he took a while finding it. Speaking to him on the phone, he said he wouldn't know what the company was doing with it, and that they are not interested in selling to me. It seemed as if they were just going to hold it. If this is the case, it may fall under the abandonware category and we may just then be able to pressure GarageGames into releasing the source code. Lets keep digging guys! There may only be a few of us left but I'm sure we can get this done! :thumbup:
ThatGuySam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ThatGuySam »

Wow! Keep up the good work Hyper-X!
Have Fun Always
Sam

Has been playing TT Since: 28th October 2012
Join ThinkTanks' Discord Server: https://discord.gg/H7fGD6E